Any Shopsmith users out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I've been watching posts to this website for some time now and I haven't seen anyone admit they own or use a Shopsmith. The reason I ask is I've had a hankering for about a year now to buy one from a family friend that's in 'new shape'. All the ones I see on Ebay are 200-2000 miles away and they all usually say, "Owned by my father/grandpa and used very little since he died." Can anyone give me some input on these units? I have a TS, 2 DPs, 2 RAS, a Band Saw, and want to set up a shop at the home I bought about a year ago. Would this unit be worth it to me? BTW, I would like to get a lathe to complete the set.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
As they say, you have awoken a sleeping gnat.......

I'm the proud 2nd owner of a Shopsmith MarkV model 500 from about 1972. I use it as my drill press, biscuit joiner, jointer, bandsaw and table saw.

Many folks use it as a dedicated lathe, as I'm guessing you are thinking about.

For most operations, I find it just fine. And its top notch quality. The company is fantastic to deal with.

You will find the usual comments about how expensive part and accessories are, but once you see just how well made they are, its clear as day.

How much are they asking? Does it come with any SPT (Special Purpose Tools), such as a jointer or band saw?

Jim

gator

George
Corporate Member
I used one for several years before I built my shop and went with dedicated tools. I enjoyed using it when it was all I had but there is a big difference between a Shopsmith and dedicated tools. The table saw is the weak link (tilting table and a small table). I really liked the drill press and the horizontal boring capability was nice. The lathe is not as good as the Harbor Freight model many of us have and like. If I had the room (and the spare change) to get a used one, I would get it for the drill press. But you have to remember that even though the drill press is used upright, the base still sticks out 4-5 feet to the rear and that eats up floor space.

George

walnutjerry

New User
Jerry
I own a shopsmith and have used it mostly as drill press, disc sander and horizontal boring. Just replaced the belt and sheave about a year ago, about 100.00 bucks worth. It has its limits, good machine until you try to surpass those limits.

I, too, prefer the dedicated machines. Considering offering this shopsmith up for sale and look for an OES.

New Shopsmith machines are not cheap--------I would let mine go for about 800.00. Really have not researched ebay etc. so i do not know what kind of prices are out there.

Jerry

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
That's about the range I see them priced at. I've been monitoring them on Ebay & CL. You can pretty much build up one from parts offered if you know what models intechange. Biggest problem is most complete units' sellers don't want to ship. I'm with you on the quality, and my seller says he needs the room. He's doing mostly woodcarving now, but he's got the whole thing & a bag of chips for accessories; BS, DC, planer, most are still in the box. We haven't even talked price yet.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Oh my, NIB....

If you do get it, don't forget your friends online and offer us deals on the parts you choose to unload :)

One think I'd mention, is shopsmith has an fully adjustable variable speed pulley/belt setup. I mention this, as I'm unaware of such a setup on most stand alone tools (within our range of affordability).

I've slowed down my table saw for some operations that made a real difference.

Jim

Nutball

New User
Paul
I have a used Shopsmith and several of the add on accessories. I haven't had much of a chance to use it yet at home (limited space and never enough time), but I have attended a couple of classes dedicated to the SS for some "hands on" training. It's a quality machine and I like the versatility it offers although many lean toward that as somewhat of a disadvantage because of the changeovers necessary to go from one mode to another (they're really not that bad). As already mentioned, I would agree the table saw mode is the weakest link, but the other modes are pretty good. I have seen some very impressive end products that have been produced by others almost exclusively using a SS. I guess it really depends on what you're trying to do and where/how you're trying to do it.

I think it is a well-built machine that will last forever if you don't abuse it (there are many units from the 50s and 60s still plugging away today).

See if the person(s) you're thinking about buying from will let you have a test drive to see how you like it.

Also, for additional info. check out

http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/Sawdust_Sessions.htm

for several 15-30 minute videos on the SS's capabilities. The quality of some of the video/audio is not the greatest, but you should get a taste of what it can do.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
"My name is Alan, I was a a Shopsmith owner for over 20 years. I have been Shopsmith free for over 6 years. Hallelujah, and amen brother." :lol::lol::lol:

I could go on and on about the Shopsmith.

I was in the Navy where I moved around allot and didn't have much shop space- both good reasons (main reasons?) to own a Shopsmith. I bought it new for under $700 and sold it over 20 years later for twice that :-D, to buy a Unisaw- a good reason to unload a Shopsmith. New ones are way overpriced.

I'll let everyone's comments stand about the drillpress and lathe- they work fine, except not enough weight, stability, or rigidity for either, especially the lathe.

Add-on tools, too lightweight, too small capacity, and, at today's prices, WAY too expensive for what you get.

Reeves drive (variable speed mechanism) too noisy.

Tablesaw- unacceptable and downright dangerous. Just look at the history of the Shopsmith table system. They have spent years and years coming out with new table systems, supports, etc, trying to fix an unfixable problem- too small of a (lightweight aluminum) table, hard to even use a crosscut sled, lack of additional support, and most significantly, the table must be tilted to cut a bevel not the blade. Tilting the table is no minor issue- your stock can slide, length of stock is limited, you must readjust the extension table supports each time you change the table tilt, etc., etc.

And I don't care what anyone says about easy change overs- unless you really plan your work flow, changeover it is a pain!

Don't get me wrong, the Shopsmith has a place in WWing, but not in my shop. It is ok for a lot of things, but frankly not good nor great at any of them. A real tell tale is look at the number of Shopsmith accessories, and gadgets to make it more like a standalone tool. If it was so good, why did do they sell stand alone power bases?

Oh, and don't be fooled by a WW show Shopsmith demo where everything is easy and you can make wonderful things- those guys, while not snake oil salesman, have have been doing the demos have been practicing that stuff for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS