Air too big, Ceilings too tall

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyingRon

Ron
Well they're not exactly woodworking tools, but I have to take them when I can.

Got a big ol' CH air compressor because my air was too big and an HVLP gun to shoot varnish at my boat. My neighbor suggests pex tubing for distribution. Anybody got any experience with that (a different neighbor has the pex crimp tool)?

My shop is 15x19 (everything currently in there is on wheels: SawStop PCS, Old Grizzly 16" bandsaw, router table, workbench). The compressor fortunately sits outside the shop in the hangar (as will be the dust collector). Still working on finding a Jointer and Margy wants a bigger lathe than the little tabletop one I got her.

One problem is my shop ceilings are 17'. Margy says "How are you going to change the light bulbs?" Well after nine months I finally find a 24' hydraulic lift that is narrow (and short when collapsed) to get through the doorway:

%21BoTioYw%212k%7E$%28KGrHqMH-D0EuZJpo-HpBLm+Q3G4Vg%7E%7E_35.JPG

But I'm thinking of some other good use for ceilings that tall. One idea is to mount track mounted shelves up there. Any other bright ideas?

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I ran PEX in mine mostly for budgetary reasons. I haven't had a failure yet & it's been up to pressure 2+ years. I will give 3 caveats:

1. PEX expands when pressure is applied. My horizontal runs were put in and fastened with loose fitting pipe straps. The longest run (55') swelled & caused the pipe to sag between supports. We also use it at work for under slab supply to dental chairs. Be sure to check the pressure rating on the pipe at the temp given. Red pipe is rated higher pressure at all temps for use with hot water.
2. I don't run over 125 psi.
3. Use brass drop ear elbows that can be fastened hard to a stud for the couplers. They are what is used for shower head rough ins available at any BORG or plumbing supply store.

If you have more coin, go with copper or black iron. Be sure to put drainage tees at the drops for condensation. I would NOT recommend PVC or CPVC as it is more prone to shatter.

FlyingRon

Ron
If you have more coin, go with copper or black iron. Be sure to put drainage tees at the drops for condensation. I would NOT recommend PVC or CPVC as it is more prone to shatter.

I don't really expect to have too much run, so I might try copper. I've sweated a ton of copper water pipe together over the years.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
double ball valves on the drop "t's" this way u can drain without depressurizing the system :gar-Bi
PS: IF i could get a dollar for every joint I made in copper pipe I could BUY a BRAND NEW Bigger Brother to that Navion DA MUSTANG :rotflm::rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:

PS2: If you already haven't thought about this you can run "M" instead of "L"

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
If you go with the pex, I would run 3/4 vs 1/2 as the fittings inside diameter is around 3/8 and that would restrict your air flow.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Ron, that's a nice score on that manlift! You'll find that it comes in handy for a lot of things.

With 17' ceilings, is there any chance that you can add a mezzanie level across part of it for storage? That could significantly increase your usable space and it shoudln't cost that much either. I think that I'd go with 9' - 10' ceilings below, and 6' - 7' in the storage area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS