4 years of American Woodworker magazine for $15!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
That's about all it's worth. I think that publication has really gone down hill :cry: I don't plan on renewing it once my subscription runs out, and I love my woodworking mags.
Dave:)

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Yeah, I haven't subscribed to it in over two years, but at that price I'll read anything on the crapper! :gar-La;

garymuto

New User
Gary
I renewed a couple of months ago after about 4 years. I figured I haven't seen the stuff they wil be recyling so I'd give it a try. I am/had been reading a lot of home iimprovement mags and I let those expire now. gotta read something and for about $4/yr I can flip though them and not feel bad.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
I think I saw an ad in the snail-mail for a 2 year scrip for this one... and it was more than the above mentioned 4 year... :eusa_doh:

Ray

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
I think I saw an ad in the snail-mail for a 2 year scrip for this one... and it was more than the above mentioned 4 year... :eusa_doh:

Ray

Yeah, I had forgotten about this magazine altogether until they sent me a mailer for 2 years for $18. So before I mailed that off, as always, I searched the internet ... and found 4 years for $15!

sshelton

New User
Steven
Speaking of magazines, if you only wanted to subscribe to a few, which ones do folks recomend ? Is there a must have list for a woodworker ?

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Speaking of magazines, if you only wanted to subscribe to a few, which ones do folks recomend ? Is there a must have list for a woodworker ?

Now that's a can of worms ... :nah:

Here is an old thread with some feedback on that subject ...
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=303&highlight=magazines

Also
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3065&highlight=magazines

And I would REVISE my list now ...

Favorites (in order)
  • Fine Woodworking
  • Wood
  • Woodsmith
  • Woodworkers Journal
  • Shop Notes
  • Popular Woodworking
  • Woodworking
Worst (no order)
  • Workbench :thumbs_do
  • Ameirican Router
  • This Old House
  • Cabinetmaker
  • Creative Woodworks & Crafts Magazine

woodArtz

New User
Bob
My favs:

• Woodturning Design
  • American Woodturner
  • Wood
  • Shop Notes
  • Woodsmith
  • Popular Woodworking
  • American Woodworker
Man, no wonder I'm not getting anything done... I'm reading too much!

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
My favs:
  • Woodturning Design
  • American Woodturner
  • Wood
  • Shop Notes
  • Woodsmith
  • Popular Woodworking
  • American Woodworker
Man, no wonder I'm not getting anything done... I'm reading too much!

Beware of Bob !

Anyone that leads with magazines from the dark side, should be considered highly suspect.

Jimmy:)

DaveO

New User
DaveO

These are the ones in get, in order of preference -

Fine Woodworking/Pop. Woodworking (tied for quality lately)
Wood
Woodworking
Woodcraft's mag (got to much WC advertising in it now, used to be higher on my list)
WW'ers Journal
American Woodworker
Cabinetmaker (it's free)
Modern Woodworking (also free)

I don't get them but I have heard great things about Shop Notes and Woodsmith mags. I pick them up as I see articles that interest me.
Dave:)

newtonc

New User
jak
I used to enjoy "Home Furniture"
It looked exactly like "Fine Woodworking".Same publishing house,by the way.
It was more for the design of furniture and was a bit technical,as far as techniques went.
I used to read it in the mid90's,it was $7.95 then.
I left the country for a few years and never saw it again.
I couldn't afford what it would probably go for now on the news stand.But other than price,I always wondered what happened to that mag.
I still look at my old issues for ideas, time to time.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
I used to enjoy "Home Furniture"
It looked exactly like "Fine Woodworking".Same publishing house,by the way.
It was more for the design of furniture and was a bit technical,as far as techniques went.
I used to read it in the mid90's,it was $7.95 then.
I left the country for a few years and never saw it again.
I couldn't afford what it would probably go for now on the news stand.But other than price,I always wondered what happened to that mag.
I still look at my old issues for ideas, time to time.

Found this about the magazine ... http://www.furnituresociety.org/fin/h_furn.html

Home Furniture, the magazine launched by Taunton Press in 1994, has announced it will cease publication with the December '97 / January '98 issue. A spinoff of its sibling publication Fine Woodworking, Home Furniture focused on the design of custom and studio furniture. The current issue, (No. 13, Nov. 1997) includes articles on designing furniture for children, new furniture makers in the San Francisco Bay area, and a photo profile "Inside Sam Maloof's Home".

Home Furniture was targeted at the accomplished woodworker who, according to Taunton Marketing Manager Suzanne Roman, "had confidence in their skills and wanted to talk about design, not about the jig they used to pull it off." But despite continuous mailings to generate new subscribers, readership slipped steadily, according to Roman. "It's an elite group of readers; a subset of Fine Woodworking, and we couldn't find them at a cost we could sustain."

Taunton plans to incorporate elements of Home Furniture into Fine Woodworking, which has traditionally been more of a "how to" magazine. A design department will be added, and a monthly gallery of design is under consideration. The Fine Woodworking cover will also be redesigned to resemble the cover of Home Furniture.

The reaction of subscribers has been stronger than anticipated, according to editor Timothy Schreiner: "The letters, emails and phone calls we have been getting are just incredible. People are pouring their hearts out. It's almost hard to read some of them. The people who loved the magazine really loved it."

The final issue will reach subscribers in early December, but will not be available at news stands. It will include articles on the ethics of copying other people's work, on the use of thin wood veneer as a design element, and a gallery of wood boxes.

newtonc

New User
jak
Found this about the magazine ... http://www.furnituresociety.org/fin/h_furn.html

Home Furniture, the magazine launched by Taunton Press in 1994, has announced it will cease publication with the December '97 / January '98 issue. A spinoff of its sibling publication Fine Woodworking, Home Furniture focused on the design of custom and studio furniture. The current issue, (No. 13, Nov. 1997) includes articles on designing furniture for children, new furniture makers in the San Francisco Bay area, and a photo profile "Inside Sam Maloof's Home".

Home Furniture was targeted at the accomplished woodworker who, according to Taunton Marketing Manager Suzanne Roman, "had confidence in their skills and wanted to talk about design, not about the jig they used to pull it off." But despite continuous mailings to generate new subscribers, readership slipped steadily, according to Roman. "It's an elite group of readers; a subset of Fine Woodworking, and we couldn't find them at a cost we could sustain."

Taunton plans to incorporate elements of Home Furniture into Fine Woodworking, which has traditionally been more of a "how to" magazine. A design department will be added, and a monthly gallery of design is under consideration. The Fine Woodworking cover will also be redesigned to resemble the cover of Home Furniture.

The reaction of subscribers has been stronger than anticipated, according to editor Timothy Schreiner: "The letters, emails and phone calls we have been getting are just incredible. People are pouring their hearts out. It's almost hard to read some of them. The people who loved the magazine really loved it."

The final issue will reach subscribers in early December, but will not be available at news stands. It will include articles on the ethics of copying other people's work, on the use of thin wood veneer as a design element, and a gallery of wood boxes.

Well...
That's what happened to my favorite publication.
I will admit "Fine Woodworking" is good,but not enough to replace it.
Thanks Woodwrangler for that explanation.I have carried that question a long time and now I can put it to rest.I'm still bitter,but I have an explanation.
I think it is a loss to anyone who never got a chance to flip through it.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS