WTB Moxon Vise

Flute Maker

New User
Mike
Anybody happen to have a Moxon vise they would sell that is not too far from me? Or a similar vise?

Thanks in advance

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
I believe Jim Creasman's write up on building a Moxon is available on the forum. His is unique with a chain drive between the screws.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Mike, (@Flute Maker)
Here is yet another (and in my opinion easier) version and by making the back jaw a little wider you could clamp it to your bench top.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
@Flute Maker Another option you may want to consider is the Milkman's Workbench. You can find plans here. I've seriously thought of making one of these for myself.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I used the kit from Woodcraft. I did a few changes, like sleeving the holes with PVC pipe and a nice radius. Makes it easier to use. Cork gasket lined. Nice big wheels.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Cosman just did a review of the two kits on You-tube.

I put mine low on my bench. More for working sitting down. I also put a 3/4 hole in it to use against bench dogs.
I might do another on the TS for traditional standing up. Doing a portable is actually more of a problem due to storage.

Acme threads are of course correct, but for a simple vise, machine threads work too, so one could get some all-thread and wing nuts and make it all pretty cheap if you had no budget.

Oh, plan ahead. I found to keep it from binding up, the holes need to be pretty large. So for the top of the vise to sit flush, they are offset from the bench side holes. I also noticed, the Woodcraft shaft is not a close fit to Imperial hole size. Next time I would drill smaller and "thread" it in.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS