Wood Gloat, Holy Holly Batman!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbdoby

New User
Rick
My father-in-law said his neighbor was going to cut down a holly tree in their yard. Asked me if I wanted it. I said sure thinking I might get a few small pieces for turning. The base of the tree had split so there were 2 trunks. The butt cut of each is 9 inches. We cut them into 6 foot lengths so I could shut my tailgate.

Now what can I make out of holly? Forgive the picture, it's a little out of focus but it was getting dark.

Rick Doby

Attachments

• DSCN0035_2.jpg
    DSCN0035_2.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 153

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I see Roy Underhill always use Holly for inlays. So I'd say you have enough for approx. 1,004,853 pieces of furniture :-D I think it's good for carving and turning as well.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Now what can I make out of holly?
Rick Doby

Make it round, Holly turns beautifully, and if it's really clean and white, the turnings look like fine china.
Or send some my way and I will dispose of it for you, in the process of trying to make it round :eusa_doh:

Dave:)

J

jeff...

I have a little bit of holy that I sawed last year, it looks a lot like plastic and like Dave said real clean and white.

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
Thats a Kool haul. From my excperance that stuff is HARD.:BangHead: Made a cane out of it liked to never got the tenon cut.:BangHead::BangHead: Wound up cutting it down on the scroll saw. Man that stuff burnt up a blade.:crybaby2:

mburke911

New User
Mark
Hi,
I was looking for some awhile back for a chess board. Holly for the white pecies and ebony for the black. Let me say that I was quite sprised at what nice peices (dried) can bring. That project was put on hold. Would make some nice chess peices if you like chess that is.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS