White Pine from The Hardwood Store

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
Has anyone purchased, or even looked at, white pine from The Hardwood Store recently? They say that it's "knotty," but that doesn't mean anything without listing the actual lumber grade. The #2 common boards sold at Lowe's and Home Depot are "knotty." How does the stuff at THS compare to what's at the box stores? If it's the same, I may as well take my time searching for the "diamonds in the rough," at Lowe's and HD.

I tried calling today, but they don't like to answer the phone for general questions on Saturdays.

*Note: I'm looking at The Hardwood Store because they're only dealer that will deliver for a reasonable fee.

kserdar

Ken
Senior User
I purchase the yellow pine from there all the time. I get it because of the lack of knots.
CNC projects don't like knots.

Craptastic

Matt
Corporate Member
Anyone interested, I have access to as much as you need, 80 year old pine. Boards are 14' long, 9" wide 8/4. They go for $40 a board. There are a few knots, but not many.

You need to be able to load 14' long boards.
I might hit you up on that offer in a couple of months. Starting to plan a new workbench.

Oh, and sorry Matt. I haven't bought wood from there so I don't know. Just a bit of a drive from here I guess. But from what Ken says they may just be using that description to make sure their regular buyers know this batch may be knottier than usual.

Last edited:

Tim Sherwood

Tim
Corporate Member
Matt I just bought 80 bf 4/4x 8 x 14' at Steve Wall in Mayodan. They cut it to 8' for me to fit my pick up. I had them straight cut one edge and plane 2 faces: I only had a 6" jointer.
I had to hand select to get some nice boards. I'll try to add some photos. Unfortunately, their 2 sided planer does not leave one flat , straitened face. They still will need to be run over a jointer.

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
I specifically asked about The Hardwood Store because I can't go to a lumberyard, and they will deliver to my house for only $60.

I'd love to order from Wall Lumber, but I'd have to either 1) order a minimum of 100 total b/ft and pay for LTL freight (I don't currently have the space to store the extra lumber), or 2) pay for FedEx ground which (if my memory serves) isn't much cheaper than the other option, with the added downside of everything being cut to 6ft.

Last edited:

Spaltedmaple

New User
Jim
My instagram (www.instagram.com/creaghfurniture) has the lumber pictured. If you go back in 2022 all the "white pine" is from there. Also ZERO knots in their yellow pine as I have made 10-15 tables with it. Ill send you some pics when I get to a computer later.

I have used HD lumber for the first 4 years I started building and its night / day the difference. Although I will tell you the white pine from the HWS is SOFT .. softer than other white pines if that is even possible haha. Very knotty for sure.

jlimey

Jeff
Corporate Member
Has anyone purchased, or even looked at, white pine from The Hardwood Store recently? They say that it's "knotty," but that doesn't mean anything without listing the actual lumber grade. The #2 common boards sold at Lowe's and Home Depot are "knotty." How does the stuff at THS compare to what's at the box stores? If it's the same, I may as well take my time searching for the "diamonds in the rough," at Lowe's and HD.

I tried calling today, but they don't like to answer the phone for general questions on Saturdays.

*Note: I'm looking at The Hardwood Store because they're only dealer that will deliver for a reasonable fee.
I went by THS today. The 8/4 white pine was as knotty as white wood at home depot. The 4/4 was sparse and not much better.

The 8/4 SYP was very nice, the 4/4 pile sparse.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS