What would you do???

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpw

New User
Charles
Hi gang,

Well I think I'm finally on the cusp of moving. I have an application in with a house rental agency and we have rented a 10'x20' storage space.

The shop IS going into storage until we sell out in Candler and find a place to buy around Rutherfordton.

My dilemma is this:

I have an old Delta Rockwell TS/joiner similar to this one. I also have the companion disc sander, and, thanks to Peter Slamp, I now have the companion DP.

In short, the combo machine needs a lot more patience and TLC than I want to mess with. I recently replaced the TS arbor bearings and now have a couple of feet of runout that I can't seem to get rid of. The sander and DP would both need major cleanup. Plus, I'm tired of compensating for using undersized/underpowered equipment. Since I'm moving, I'm tempted to get rid of it and start over with newer equipment when I have a new shop, but it will probably be a LONG time before I could replace everything.

So what would YOU do?

Thanks.

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
Charles,

I think you've summed it very well with your statement;

"In short, the combo machine needs a lot more patience and TLC than I want to mess with."

You're moving and starting a new job...two very stressful things to cope with. I'd suggest you sell off the old machinery (don't pay to move and store) and start fresh.

Just my .02.

Good luck with the house sale and the move.

Dan C.

M

McRabbet

I don't know if I would agree with Dan -- you may find that you finally get a house in a few months that needs some DIY things done and even a sub-par TS would be an asset. Since I believe you said you were going to be moving yourself and you have the storage space, I'd keep it (but then I'm a pack rat and never toss anything away!)

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
If its something you enjoy using and really plan to fix, keep it. If it makes you dread a job because its aggravating to use, leave it behind. If you can find it a new home, so much the better, and if you can sell it, better yet. Taking up free space is one thing. Using dollars to store it is another.
Going back to hand tools may be an option. I did that when I moved here and have not regretted it. The power tools are being replaced slowly, but they are not an aggravation to use when I get them as I now know a lot more about what features are important to me so I am buying tools better suited for my use. (With the classified here and elsewhere, fine tools can be found at a great price if you have the patience).

My .0002

Go

PS. I moved here from FL (there 23 years) about 2 years ago, and have not regretted leaving behind the PITA TS, router, etc that I did not want to spend even a couple dollars to move).

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
I concur about selling the tools. If someone wants the tools, despite their warts, let them go.

BarryC

New User
Barry
I don't know about selling them just yet. Having a need for a tool that you just sold and haven't replaces it worse than fussing with it a bit to make it work. There will be unexpected things that you will be spending money on for the new place and until those nickle and dime expenese settle down and they will replacing those tools you already have would be a very big burden. Unless of course you have more money than you know what to do with then I say chunk then and buy shiny new ones.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I'd sell 'em. It means you don't have to move the tools in- and out of storage. It means you don't have to worry about protecting the surfaces against rust. It means you don't have to worry about fixing up these tools when you finally get around to building your new shop. And most of all, it means no more annoyance! Why keep items you don't care for anyway.

So, save whatever money you get for the tools, and put it towards the eventual replacements. You may not be able to get everything at once, but hunting down bargains is part of the fun.

Of course, this assumes you can actually get a reasonable price of these tools. If nobody offers more than $25 for your table saw, I'd keep it, no matter how bad the runout.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Cut 'em loose. Use the time you would have spent cleaning and repairing to pick out one or two good new/used tools when you are ready to begin again.

Just my $.02

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS