What is the rational behind....?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Behind a clear door in a router table cabinet. Is it because Naahm has it in his, also the reason I wear plaid in the shop?:lol: Or for visibility of the dust collection? :eusa_thin That is the last thing I have to make for my NYW styled RT cabinet, and I am torn between spending the money for some Plexiglas, or just using some ply I already have. If there is a good reason why it is clear then I'll go that route, otherwise I'll go the cheap way and cobble it together from shop scraps.
Dave:)

hpetty

New User
Hugh
I asked that same question a few weeks ago. Based on the responses I received I went with a plywood panel framed by solid oak. At least that was my design before "the accident". I haven't completed the door yet, but I'm going back with the same design - with 3 1" holes drilled near the bottom for the DC flow. and a 4th on the side for a handle. Should work fine. I never felt like I needed to see the dust swirl around. But that's just my opinion.

DaveO said:
Behind a clear door in a router table cabinet. Is it because Naahm has it in his, also the reason I wear plaid in the shop?:lol: Or for visibility of the dust collection? :eusa_thin That is the last thing I have to make for my NYW styled RT cabinet, and I am torn between spending the money for some Plexiglas, or just using some ply I already have. If there is a good reason why it is clear then I'll go that route, otherwise I'll go the cheap way and cobble it together from shop scraps.
Dave:)

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Dave, I can't think of any reasons why it would be beneficial to have the door made out of Plexi. My vote would be to save the $$ for a new router bit and convert that NYW version RT to a NCWW DaveO version RT and make the door solid. Whichever door you make, don't forget to add the vent holes as mentioned in a previous post to provide return airflow for your DC.

D L

Big Mike

New User
Mike
I have operated my router table for years with solid doors. I cut vent slots on each side directly under the table top and then another on the back near the shelf behind the doors. The slots on the sides are about 1" tall and 12" wide and the slot on the back is 2" wide and 12" long. It works real well to pull air by the router and evacuate the chips through the fence vacuum connection.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
I have never had a mobile router table, always used my table mounted router in my TS extension, but I am building one now and made my door today. I made mine out of wood. I couldn't think of any reason it had to be clear. I can't see in this area when I am routing anyway, so if I need to look in there I'll open the door. I have not cut any vents, I was hoping the clearance between the back of the door and the frame would be enough, if not I'll make a vent(s).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS