What is Spalted/Spalting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will Goodwin

New User
Will Goodwin
I've read a few threads and looked at a few pictures that said the finished piece was made from spalted Maple. What is spalting? :eusa_thin

Will

woodArtz

New User
Bob
It's a fancy way to say rotten... I think it is caused by various forms of mold and/or fungus. We turners just love the stuff.

Will Goodwin

New User
Will Goodwin
I love Wikipedia....should have looked there myself, but now the answer is out there for others to see....that is if they don't know already.
And Bas your use of the word clinical is apt. Definately a clinical definition...I like yours better.

Spalting ... things that make you go:jiggy:

Thanks guys.
Will

J

jeff...

It's a fancy way to say rotten... I think it is caused by various forms of mold and/or fungus. We turners just love the stuff.

Not rotten :slap: - there is a fine line between good and spalted and good and rotten. Actually it's just a matter of a few months time in the heat of the summer.

Some Spalted Elm Pepper Mill Blanks

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Thanks

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
For what it's worth, I have heard the following about the origination of the word. I cannot confirm that it is 'true', but it goes like this . . . back when they were logging the mountains, the lumber would sometimes lie on the ground for a long time before it was actually brought down the mountain. The 'lumberjacks' working up there were typically not well educated and picked out the logs that were 'spoiled' from sitting too long...with thick accents, it sounded more like 'spalted'.

Anyway...if it's not true, at least it's an interesting story :)

oh...and...the lines are apparently barriers created by different mold colonies to keep the adjacent colony on their own turf :)

Chris

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Somewhere last year, I read a bit on how you could spalt-it-yourself using beer (on the wood, not yourself).

kaysa

New User
Dr. Spalting
I love Wikipedia....should have looked there myself, but now the answer is out there for others to see....that is if they don't know already.

Actually, the answer has been out there for a while. The scientific community has been on the spalting bandwagon for about 4 years now and managed to successfully induce, stimulate, and control the patterns. Its nice to finally have that information out of the tight academic community and in the hands of woodworkers, who actually use it.

kaysa

New User
Dr. Spalting
The term 'spalting' actually has germanic roots. 'Spalt' means to split or cleave in German. There are compound German words such as 'der Spaltpilz', which means something akin to 'fission fungus'. I think the theory is that since the fungi seem to split the wood in the later stages of decay, and since the zone lines 'split up' the wood, that the term spalting actually came from the German word.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Seri, that's a nice writeup that you did in Wilkepedia. Where can I learn more about process (from a manufacturing perspective)?

Thanks.

Scott

kaysa

New User
Dr. Spalting
Seri, that's a nice writeup that you did in Wilkepedia. Where can I learn more about process (from a manufacturing perspective)?

Thanks.

Scott

Which process? Inducing, controlling, machining? Narrow it down for me a little and I'll bombard you with information.

Seri

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
Which process? Inducing, controlling, machining? Narrow it down for me a little and I'll bombard you with information.

Great!...perhaps we should start at the beginning....inducing! I am most interested in inducing, but expect I will quickly become interesting in controlling...just a theory :) Perhaps you can start a new thread to focus on that?

OH...and especially if you can touch on the different 'colors', whether the color lasts. Outside of that, I, personally, would be most interested in creating the dramatic zone lines...no surprise there, eh?

Thanks!
Chris

Last edited:

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Seri, in answer to your question my interests would be in inducing and controlling.

Thanks!

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS