What is a table saw?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Hancock

Jim
Corporate Member
OK, I know what a table saw is, but my searching hasn't helped with learning what differentiates a contractors/unisaw/cabinet saw. I want one that has good dust collection and a solid top as a minimum. Any good references out there?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
The main difference between a contractor saw and a cabinet saw is the way the trunions are mounted. Contractor saws they are mounted to the table and a cabinet saw they are mounted to the cabinet. Dust collection is generally better in a cab saw due to the enclosed cabinet. Hybrid saws are just that a cross between the two. A Unisaw is Delta's better cabinet saw.
I would recommend you look into Grizzly or possibly Steel City for good deals on TS.
What is your budget for a saw, or requirements for its use? That would help with the recommendation process a little .
Dave:)

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Dave has given a good description. As for dust collection, most in my opinion do not do very well. The newer models like the PM2000 and Sawstop have a shroud that goes around the underside of the blade assembly and do much better than the standard cabinet or contractor's saw.

rhett

New User
rhett
You can set up a contractors saw to have as much iron as a cabinet saw up top. It boils down to power and dust collection. You can catch alot under a contractor saw with a little duct tape and ingenuity. As far as power, its nice to not have to think, can my saw cut that:) .

Jim Hancock

Jim
Corporate Member
I have been managing with a Craftsman RAS now for several years but I just despise ripping on it(not the safest operation in the shop). And keeping it in tune is a never ending chore. For a table saw I have 220v 1ph power so I would like to go with a 3hp motor. The PM2000 looks quite enticing though it is starting to push the budget just a bit. Even so, in the few years I have been woodworking I have come to the conclusion that cheap/improper tools are more aggravation than they are worth. I have basically resigned myself to wait until I can afford quality tools if at all possible. Sometimes compromises need to be made(none of my planes are Lie-Nielsen). This site has been a great source of info, thanks for all the replies and links regarding saw types.

What [strike]excuses[/strike] reasons have you used in the past to justify to your LOML that $2500 is a reasonable expense for a new tool?

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
What [strike]excuses[/strike] reasons have you used in the past to justify to your LOML that $2500 is a reasonable expense for a new tool?

For me, believe it or not, it isn't too hard. LOML has even bought me a $2K tool for my birthday which was quite a shocker. Initially, it wasn't that way, as every time I bought a tool or said I needed a tool, I got the eyes rolling :roll: , but as projects have turned out, it has become a non-issue.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Table saw- daffenition- A large flat surface, usually centrally located in the shop, upon which the owner piles stuff. Occassionally used to cut wood, after removing stuff! A little patience will pay off with a bargin in a used saw, either a contractor or cabinet. Yesterday, someone had a Rockwell 10" contractor's saw on Craigslist for $150. It was in Pittsboro. Check some other sites (Woodnet.net) for deals on Sear's "zip code saw" (22124). It is a hybrid saw that gets GREAT reviews. Trunions on this saw are mounted to the cabinet. The most impressive saw I have seen is the Bridgewood 1023 from Wilkie. I own a Delta Uni, along with three Delta contractor saws. One of the contractor saws gets the most use.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Check out the Grizzly with slide table in the "Hot Buys" of the for sale section. Good saw, very reasonably priced and LOCAL.

DavidF

New User
David
For me, believe it or not, it isn't too hard. LOML has even bought me a $2K tool for my birthday which was quite a shocker. Initially, it wasn't that way, as every time I bought a tool or said I needed a tool, I got the eyes rolling :roll: , but as projects have turned out, it has become a non-issue.

Producing nice stuff before you get the big tools can backfire too - When I now talk about getting a new tool the response is often "why? you have produced some lovely things up to now without it" - can't win that one as saving time is never a valid argument.:lol: :lol:

jerrye

New User
Jerry
Producing nice stuff before you get the big tools can backfire too - When I now talk about getting a new tool the response is often "why? you have produced some lovely things up to now without it" - can't win that one as saving time is never a valid argument.:lol: :lol:

I guess all depends on whether LOYL wants you in the house or in the shop!:rolf: Since I don't have a shop I already know the answer to that one (don't have a dog house either) so I may need to find somewhere else. Any suggestions?:-D

DavidF

New User
David
I guess all depends on whether LOYL wants you in the house or in the shop!:rolf: Since I don't have a shop I already know the answer to that one (don't have a dog house either) so I may need to find somewhere else. Any suggestions?:-D

I guess I just need to break down and sob:crybaby2: :crybaby2: maybe she'll take pity on me when it come time to buy that Performax sander I SO desperately need (want)

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Whining helps. Talking about how you can't make it without "X" helps some as well. Constant reminders, constantly leaving websites up, accidentally leaving catalogs open to certain pages, etc all helps. I believe I talked about a shaper for 3 years so I think she finally got fed up with hearing it and went out and bought it for me.

It is something of a joke between us though. She was in shock when I bought all that pine though. Fortunately, I didn't get grounded, just put on an allowance.

DavidF

New User
David
Whining helps. Talking about how you can't make it without "X" helps some as well. Constant reminders, constantly leaving websites up, accidentally leaving catalogs open to certain pages, etc all helps. I believe I talked about a shaper for 3 years so I think she finally got fed up with hearing it and went out and bought it for me.

It is something of a joke between us though. She was in shock when I bought all that pine though. Fortunately, I didn't get grounded, just put on an allowance.

I mentioned the pine to Carol later that night and got the "he must be mad" look:lol: :lol:

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Carol and my wife do not need to meet then. There will be a move to have me institutionalized if they do I suspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors