What finish for trivets if any?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

toolferone

These are a few of the Christams gifts this year. The trivets will have hot pots and pans sittting on them. What if any finish should I use that will take the heat? The wood is spalted maple.

trivet%201.jpg

trivet%202.jpg

cskipper

Cathy
Those look great! I use either Tung oil or another oil who's name escapes me (yeah, I know - really helpful) this early. I've always been worried about polys, etc. due to heat. I usually use a foil pan thats big enough for the trivets and dip them. You want them to be heavily coated for several minutes to be sure it penetrates.

quid_non

Wayne
Senior User
Those are neat - how'd you do them? Are they just dados at right angles to each other? Any jigs needed?
Thanks
Wayne

T

toolferone

Those are neat - how'd you do them? Are they just dados at right angles to each other? Any jigs needed?
Thanks
Wayne
\

Yes it is at right angles, but it was done on the router table with a round nose bit set just over half the thickness of the wood. I then routed a 1/4 round over on the edges. (should have done that first)

grumpy

New User
Harry Goodwin
Years ago aa hardware store friend used to take a burning cigaret and push it into varithane (oil) with no visible problems so I have used it on trivets with no problem. Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS