What Dovetail saw?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
Great idea and generous offer by Randy to share his legendary skills.
BUT, I'm waffling on this one . . . at least through the holidays. :bcool:
Have to see what I can work out :eusa_shhh

Roger

Roger, you're too kind.... It may be tough to work something out during the holidays anyway, seems like there's something happening almost every Saturday until first of the year. If we get together it would probably be a Saturday deal. So let's stay in touch and maybe we can work something out after first of the year. :icon_thum That might also give me enough time to get the shop cleaned up too :roll:.

4yanks

New User
Willie
As they used to say on Monty Python "And now for something completely different!"

WOW! So much for the old adage about there being nothing new under the sun. I'll be interested to see what the reaction will be to the Drake saws introduction.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Rob Cosman posted this on the blog about the Glenn-Drake saw and gave some advise about using a saw:
"When using a western saw there are some tidbits that will make a huge difference. The points you mention are all easy to overcome, starting the cut; use your opposite index finger and thumb as an anchor point by pinching the wood, press the saw laterally against them to prevent sideways movement. Take 80% of the saw's weight off the wood as you begin the cut, touch the wood as you would kiss a newborn. Use any part of the saw to start the cut, I prefer the front. Once the kerf is started let the weight of the saw do the work. The biggest error I see is the grip. Hold the saw as you would cradle a baby’s hand. A light touch will allow the saw to do its job, cut straight. The sawyers job is to aim, push and pull. To the saw; reduce the set to a few thou each side, file it with rip teeth and at 15 tpi your good to go. Have yet to find a pull saw that could compete for speed and straightness of cut."

DavidF

New User
David
Patience is a virtue

Bummer, where did you order it from?

Highland Hardware. Problem is I don't want to cut the drawer pieces to size and then leave them while I wait for the saw incase the wood starts to move before I get the joints cut, so I am at a bit of a loose end until it gets here.

DavidF

New User
David
David - Have you received your saw yet?

I was thinking of asking Santa for this Crown DT saw. http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=850 I didn't see any indication of back order on the website.

Is this the one I need for general purpose DT work?

Chuck

Yes, that's the one I ordered. No sign of it yet, I'll give them a call and check.

Just checked, they are shipping mine out today - yippee!

Now how to choose, more wood turning, put the grinder/wolverine together, fit the wixey table saw gauge or cut the dovetails on the drawers? Oh and I have to go away to Puerto Rico for a week, next week to install a machine - so much to do, so little time......

DavidF

New User
David
What kind of machine are you installing? Anything to do with Woodworking???

Nothing related to Woodworking other than it pays for the tools! It is a Surface mount pick and place machine for the electronics assembly market.

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Nothing related to Woodworking other than it pays for the tools! It is a Surface mount pick and place machine for the electronics assembly market.

Well then, If it pays for tools, that's the best part:eusa_danc:eusa_clap:lol:!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS