Weekend Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
The last project I did involved some stringing and banding . I quickly realized I didn't have enough tools:roll: I saw in last mo.s FWW mag an article that used tools from L-N. I just had to have some so I ordered a couple. I rembered seeing in Feb. 07 FWWmag how to make a knife marking guage to trim stringing. Here is my version loosely based on it. Also I made a tool to size and smooth the stringing after it is cut.

Attachments

• 100_0483.jpg
    100_0483.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 245

nelsone

New User
Ed
Hey Larry, I like those. I remember watching Roy Underhill use some tools very similar. I'd love to know the details of the tools and maybe make my own!

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Nice looking home-made tools, Larry!:icon_thum
I have to admit I'm not sure what "stringing" is. Could you elaborate for this mentally challenged WWer??
Keep up the great work:eusa_clap

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
Stringing is thin (1/16" to 1/8") strips that are inlaid into the surface of the work piece. See the article in Dec. FWW mag.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Slick! Any tips or lessons you learned making them for those who might try this themselves?

Jim

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Stringing is thin (1/16" to 1/8") strips that are inlaid into the surface of the work piece. See the article in Dec. FWW mag.

Thanks Larry!
Wasn't sure if you were talking about Christams lights, a guitar, or beads....:slap:. I have SO much to learn. Thank goodness I have you guys and gals to help me along.
Take care,

P.S. I just realized I passed 500 posts!! Look out DaveO, I'm catching up FAST:rolf::rolf:

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
Hey Larry, I like those. I remember watching Roy Underhill use some tools very similar. I'd love to know the details of the tools and maybe make my own!
Ed, I went back to the shop and took some more pics and copied the FWW page. The pic in the mag shows it being used to mark around a drawer front. It also can cut thin strips for inlay if used with a straight edge. I don't think the actual dimensions really mater. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 100_0486.jpg
    100_0486.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 225
  • 100_0485.jpg
    100_0485.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 207

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Larry I would appreciate some more information on the tool that is used to size the stringing. It looks like a scraper blade set-up in a gage block that you pull the string stock through to trim it to final thickness. Am I anywhere close???? What size does the string stock start out at before you use that tool?
Dave:)

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
Larry I would appreciate some more information on the tool that is used to size the stringing. It looks like a scraper blade set-up in a gage block that you pull the string stock through to trim it to final thickness. Am I anywhere close???? What size does the string stock start out at before you use that tool?
Dave:)
Dave, your exactly right. It is just a blade (in this case a piece of straping from a bundle of lumber). I cut the holes in the blade elongated to be able to adjust it. You start with a piece of stringing and check for fit in the routed slot. If it doesn't fit, drag it thru the opening a couple of times. Adjust the opening as needed. I try to size the stringing as close as possible to begin with as the guage block will only do so much. Most stringing is 1/16" to 1/4" what ever looks good.

JohnW

New User
John
Larry, Those are a couple of good looking tools. Mive job. They look a lot like the hand tools luthiers (especially violin builders) use to make their own purfling... which is a fancy word for stringing.:eusa_booh

FWIW, I've read where some folks use a pasta machine to cut stringing. Never tried it myself. Might make for some pretty tough spaghetti.

Attachments

• 418WnINkMaL__SS400_.jpg
    418WnINkMaL__SS400_.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 172
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS