Webmaster's Perspective

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
I am using the term "Webmaster" here, so that no one reading this jumps to the conclusion that just becuase you have the title Administrator or Moderator that I am expecting you to learn how to do or actually do any of the things I am talking about in this thread. This thread is more of an FYI to provide better context for some discussions that I intend to open up later.

Please feel free to reply comment, criticize, ask questions or what ever now that I got the whole thing written out

Last edited:

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Vbulletin

Vbulletin is the top layer of software that the user sees. As Admins and/or Moderators, most of you already have an idea of what it takes to adminster the user visiable part of ncwoodworker.net

The important thing to note here is that Vbulletin provides a complex set of permissions that while very confusing, provide a basis for the webmaster or super admin (that's me) to selectively decide who can do what. That is, I could, if I decided, give each of you completely different powers of administration and/or moderation.bFrom a webmaster's point of view, this is the ideal way to do things

In practice, this permission system is not perfect. Basically, the various add on such as vBgallery don't provide the same level of control. For instance, once you are classed as an admin or a moderator, you access to all things about the gallery admin.

Last edited:

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
cPanel

First, to understand the reason for the existence for cpanel, your must understand That ncwoodworker actually shares a server with about 20 other independent websites. cPanel makes it possible for the individual webmaster to administer some of the lower level functions that are usually server wide, in isolation from the other websites.

Some of these functions are:

set up email accounts - if someone requests an ncwoodworker.net email account, this is the place.

set up ftp accounts. - if someone requests Bulk Upload privileges this is part of what has to be done

Setup subdomains - if someone wants to request their own sub-domain website like Carolina-Heirlooms.ncwoodworker.net that mshel uses.

In addition there are a host of lower level issues that must be done from here.

There is a problem in sharing the tasks that have to be done with cPanel. There is only one user id and password. Anyone who has to have access to our cPanel must know this single user id and password. This is, of course, a potential security weakness.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
cPanel - more

There is another complication about cPanel, that in a moment of stupidity, I have caused.

In order to provide some of the other services that I want to do, my account is setup like a reseller. No, I am not actually reselling anything or am I charging anybody anything. But what this allows me to do, is create other independent websites, each with their own space, databases, and of course their own cpanel.

Currently there are three of these sites.

ncwoodworker.net
woodworking-galleries.org
coles.us

To do this requires a "master" cpanel, which has additional functions and also has only one user id and password. The piece of stupidity that I was refering to is that I have ncwoodworker set as the master account. That means that anyone that has access to ncwoodworker's cpanel can directly go to the cpanels of these other sites. An even bigger security weakness.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Shell/SSH access

This is the most powerful tool in the toolbox. With this, one easily wreck the system. My primary use for this is to perform database backups and hopefully not restores.

Again, there is a potential security hole, because it also uses the same userid and password as cpanel.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Help the sky may fall

When I've reached the point with a problem that I don't have the power, knowledge or such, then it's time to contact the hoster. Like most hoster's they have an online ticket system. Unlike most hoter's systems, they really monitor it and respond very quickly. I have yet to a see ticket that hasn't been responed to and fixed within 2 hours.

The system can be used for almost anything. The most recent example was a problem that mshel had. He was unable to reach the ncwoodworker at all. After he and i worked on the phone for about an hour and verified that problem wasn't on his end or his ISP, I sent in a ticket providing his IP address and a specific time that an access attempt failed. Within 15 minutes, they found the problem (their fiewall was blocking his IP) and corrected it.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Help the sky IS falling

Every once in awhile, something at their datacenter happens and ncwoodworker can not be reached at all. I usually give it about 15 minutes. if the proble still exists, I call their main number and let them know what is happening and they usually get the problem resolved within an hour. If for some reason I don't get a human being on the phone (only happened once), I send in a ticket. Which is almost as fast getting the system back online.

I will also call when a particular problem sent as a ticket is not geting resolved. This is usually when issue is dragging on too long becuase they are missing the point. Such as the issue of AOL not getting our email.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Now the question should be why am I telling you this. None of you really want to know most of this.

I wanted everyone to understand how much is going on under the covers. As the site activity increases, I spend more of my availble time doing the things that only I have the permissions to do and less on the vBulletin administartive side. which is partially why I think we need more administrators.

Also I wanted to provide a basis for the discussion of what happens if I am not available for whatever reason

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Automation

Some of the things that mine and your time can be automated. For instance, every new member gets what appears to be a personal private message from me welcoming them to site and suggesting some things they might want to do to get involved. I actually did compose a new message for each new member. Now however, it is sent automatically when they activate their account. It still works, this beaus I still get replies thanking me for the warm welcome:oops:

Photo albums can be fully automated. But it takes a bit of custom code and will have to wait until after the vbulletin upgrade, so I don't have to write it twice.
The same is true for the registration process which I want to screen for residents more carefully and ask directed questions when there appears to be a discrepancy.

Database and file backup can and will be automated the next time I'm up at 3:30 in the morning when I can test the script without bringing down the other 20 websites on this machine.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Have at it

Ok, have at it. I opened the thread, feel free to ask questions, criticize and /or make suggestions.:eusa_danc

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Re: cPanel - more

Well, I fixed that part of it. ncwoodworker.net's cpanel is no longer the "master cpanel" So, if any of you have an interest in looking around, to see if you woiuld like to help, just PM me.

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley

SteveColes said:
Well, I fixed that part of it. ncwoodworker.net's cpanel is no longer the "master cpanel" So, if any of you have an interest in looking around, to see if you woiuld like to help, just PM me.
Steve,

I went into the cpanel, ( used the Admin button at the bottom) at least I think that is where I ended up and I believe that I have enough moxie to perform most any of the basic tasks that I see given some instructions and or practice. I guess from my perspective, I just want the site to be successful and I am willing to help in any way possible whether that be performing some of the more minor level stuff so you can be free to keep the top level clean or whatever you intrust me to do. You can count on my support in whatever capacity you deem necessary.

Mike

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member

Actually, that was not cpanel, but the admin panel. That's where you setup galleries and VBulletin stuff. Cpanel is a whole other thing, one level closer to guts of the server. This is where email accounts are setup, backups done, ftp accounts setup, etc.

There is only one special userid and password that gives access, and different url to get there That's why I asked for people who were interested in looking around to send me a private message.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
This is the message that is sent auto to all new members
Glad to have you here, hope you enjoy the site. :eusa_danc
Please don't forget to activate your account using the email that has been sent to you.
BTW, if you need an Photo Gallery Album, just go to Request Services and click on the Photo album link. Once I get the message, it only takes a few minutes.
Also, you might want to introduce yourself in the Who we are forum. It seems to do wonders in getting people involved.
Steve Coles

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Steve,

Sorry for being lax in responding to this. I started reading it when you began and took it as a work in progress to be adressed later. With guidance I can get around most things. I have created websites in the past and worked directly with a host some years ago. Things seem to be more streamlined now and menu driven but I haven't been in control panel to look around. I'm willing to learn and will support any way that I can.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Steve, interesting read. I can't say I understood it all but my hair sure hurts.:lol: I am willing to do whatever I can to help but I am not sure if I am computer savvy enough to delve into the Cpanel yet. Let me get my feet on the ground with being a moderator and once my abilities and confidence mature a bit I'll ask if you want to take the risk of letting me look around inside the Cpanel area. If I went in there now I can guarantee you I would be back into my "hog looking at a wristwatch" mode as soon as I walked in the door.

It sounds like SteveD and mshel might have the knowledge and ability to help out in that area.

D L

JohnsonMBrandon

New User
Brandon Johnson
Steve I am willing to help you however I can. I think I would be fine in c-panel without messing anything up. However, I am close to reaching the limits to what I can respond to in a timely fashion. I guess basically what I am saying is if there is someone else willing to help out with c-panel let them have at it. If you still need more help I am more than willing to help when I am available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS