Wax Replacements for JPW

MarkSmithB

Mark
User
Folks,

Rather than hijack other threads, I thought I should start a new one.

I don't think I ever used JPW, but paste wax is an integral part of my shop. All of my cast iron surfaces get an occasional application of paste wax. All of my hand planes get a thin coat at the end of the work day. I've never had a rust problem either in Houston or in NC.

I've used two products.

Lee Valley Blue Label Paste Wax.
I love this product. It used to be more reasonably priced, but has really increased in recent years.

Minwax Paste Finishing Wax.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000LNOZAW?th=1&psc=1&language=en_US.
They don't use enough solvent in this product. I melt it in a hot wat bath and dilute about 3 parts wax/1 part turp (caveat, I haven't done this in a while so ymmv) with turpentine. After this, it works great.

Maybe JPW was superior in some respect, and as I said I have no experience with it, but these two products have worked well for me.

Mark

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I use the minwax as well, and may try your recipe for softening it some. For my hand planes, I made a "lube can" based on Paul Seller's version. It is basically tightly rolled cotton t-shirt stuffed into a can with about 1/2" protruding over the top of the can and soaked with mineral oil. Just drag the plane sole over it as needed while planing, and hit the sole and sides before putting it back in the shelf.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I've used Gulfwax Paraffin dissolved in mineral spirits in a spray bottle on my cast iron surfaces for a while and it works better than paste wax for preventing rust and keeping it slick. 1/2 a block in ~8oz MS. Spray on, allow to haze, buff with a rag. Store it inside during the winter as it gets too thick to spray when cold.

RichM

New User
Rich

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
I use Trewax Transparent Paste Wax on the wooden planes I make or refurbish. I can't really compare it to the others, but I like the results.

For metal surfaces I use Camilla oil that I purchased from Lie-Nielson. I keep an old wash cloth that is quite saturated by now and rub over hand planes, handsaws and other tools before I put them away.

Last edited:

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Someone (maybe Schwarz?) suggested Crisco as an alternative to mutton tallow...

Has anyone tried that?
Will it get rancid perhaps?

I know the tallow does not and it is fantastic on wood and metal, but pricey!

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
Someone (maybe Schwarz?) suggested Crisco as an alternative to mutton tallow...

Has anyone tried that?
That was for lubricating plane soles, which I have tried. It works well, but a block of paraffin wax better suits my workflow.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS