Wanted 33.25" x 1.75" x 4.5" piece of hard wood in LENOIR, NC --- CLOVER, SC

charlessenf

(;harles
Senior User
33.25" x 1.75" x 4.5" is the finished size. I do not have a Joiner I do have a 735 planer and TS and Router. So, I need one flat face to start!

I put Lenoir -->> Clover as I travel that route (down 321 usually) and hoped to find something within reasonable travel time.

Would you call it three board feet?

Last edited:

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Yes 3 bd ft- but you need to make sure you have all dimensions defined. Stairs per code are required to be pretty exacting.

You need to know how they are constructed - are the risers lapped over the tread or are they butted. Is the nosing overhang really 1" or more or less?, what is the tread area width 10" (typ) or more. Remember, the tread width is measured without the over hang nosing, so- if your tread is 11" and there is a 1" nosing overhang, then the tread is considered 10". How thick is the tread, this should be pretty close (within 1/32 preferred). does the tread die into the walls and was covered by drywall or does it have a runner board added over the treads or is it in the wall and the drywall dies on top of it?

For a stair tread you might custom fit in I would get a 4ft bd. Also there is no standard anymore on treads. I have seen some 1/2 inch thick which is crazy, but people do crazy things.

tread.jpg

charlessenf

(;harles
Senior User
". . . if Stair Treads came in 1.75" thickness as OAK . . . "

Apologies for the innocent misdirection. I am NOT building stairs. I mentioned Oak Stair Treads 'cause I'd seen them for sale in LOWES and thought "They might come in seven or eight quarters thickness." Checked today, the treads at Lowes are barely three quarters!

I simply need a thick wood board (hard/tough enough to withstand foot traffic).

Last edited:

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
OK Then ask for a 8/4 (2" thick) board Buy from a hardwood lumber supply and find one that has dimensioning abilities. Then they can mill it for you to 1.75" usually a small add cost.

charlessenf

(;harles
Senior User
I'm in Lexington, I'm sure I could dig something up.

Hmmmm, petrified wood! Now, that would be durable. But difficult to work, no?

I had no idea where Lexington, NC was.

So I Bing'd it and came up with a generic route (one town to another) Via US-64 that clocks in at three hours for the round trip and twenty-seven bucks for fuel.

Presently, I am looking at buying two 3/4 Oak treads from LOWES and gluing them together with a quarter inch of plywood (the same thickness as the click-in flooring + Pad) on the bottom. That way, all the visible wood exposed to traffic will be the hard oak and only Mother and I will know about the cheap plywood underpinning.

We were just down to Newton and Hickory yesterday and could have stopped in at the Klingspor en route to Sams and went for a Gyro at Arby's instead (tasty, not worth the three bucks and nothing a proud Greek would serve!).

So far the 'Real Wood' outlets seem to be looking at selling sticks of eight feet or more - though I've only looked at web sites - and few are 'nearby' or along my preferred route South.

I had a 12/4 slab of Walnut and sold it along with all the 5/4 and 4/4 stuff I had drying in the basement for years, so, I guess I can justify paying the market price for what I need today - if I could only stop kicking myself.

Maybe a sojourn to East could serve more than a single purpose. Hmmm, Taylorsville, Hiddenite, Stony Point, Statesville, then a long lonely ride to Mocksville and another, even longer one into Lexington.

There's a good Habitat ReStore in Taylorsville and a new one somewhere in Statesville, is there one in Lexington?

If you find something, PM me, please.

Thanks for the offer

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
You mentioning Klingspor's reminded that the one in Winston-Salem routinely has pieces of 8/4 ambrosia maple cutoffs, in the size that you're looking for. If that's something that would work for you, maybe the Hickory store carries it as well.

charlessenf

(;harles
Senior User
Klingspor'sin Winston-Salem routinely has pieces of 8/4 ambrosia maple cutoffs.

Date: Sat, Dec 5, 2020 at 11:16 AM
Subject: Wood 33.25" x 4.5" x 1.75"

Hey Charles,
We currently do not have anything in the form of cutoffs that meet the dimensions you need. I am hoping to get another load of it in here in the next couple of weeks. Sorry about that, but keep us in mind and we hope to see you soon!
Thanks,
Eric Horton – Store Manager
Klingspor’s Woodworking Shop of Winston
Phone 336-768-9663 Fax 336-768-4224

and, from Hickory . . .

On Sat, Dec 5, 2020 at 12:01 PM Sonya - Klingspor's Woodworking Shop <sonya@livechat.woodworkingshop.com> wrote:
The only thing we have would be Elmwood and it is only 3 to 4 inches thick.
We have that elmwood at the Hickory Store.
--

Sonya - Klingspor's Woodworking Shop
Customer Service: +1 (800) 228-0000
www.woodworkingshop.com

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS