Varnique

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike DePriest

New User
Mike
Hi, I am working on my first butcher block table and am trying to find out what a varnique semi gloss finish is and where to find it?

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
Mike,

First welcome to the site and please post a little info about yourself and some pictures of your work in a gallery. I'm sure you will enjoy the great bunch of folks here and the free flow of info.

Now to your question about "Varnique/Oil Finish". I've never heard of it but I Googled it and it appears to be some kind of proprietary varnish finish that the BOOS company uses on their butcher block tops. From my experience I've used mineral oil and was very satisfied with it. I worked in a butcher shop as a teen and they would clean their tops with a bleach solution and then oil them with mineral oil...they had been doing this for generations.

I'm sure someone else will pipe in with additional info.

Good luck.

dan C.

M

McRabbet

Mike,

I agree with Dan that mineral oil is the best protection for a cutting block. As an alternative, Behlen's Salad Bowl Finish is also food safe.

By the way, welcome to the website! I suggest you post a new thread in the "Who We Are" Forum and give us all an introduction! Lots more members will see that post.

Rob

DaveO

New User
DaveO
To expound on Dan's research into the finish that you mention. If it is used by the Boos Co. (who make butcher blocks) then it is probably a varnish/oil blend like the Salad Bowl Finish that Rob mentioned. That is a oil/varnish blend heavy in the oil. It tends to cure harder than a straight oil finish like Tung or Walnut oil due to the varnish resins.
Personally I like a mineral oil and bees wax finish for the cutting boards that I have made. Heat up the mineral oil in a double boiler and dissolve a bit of bees wax or paraffin in it. Slop the mixture on while it's still warm and let it soak in. Keep applying it until it will take no more. Let it cool and buff it out with a stiff cloth like burlap. That should give you a semi-gloss, food safe, easily repairable finish.
MTCW,
Dave:)

Mike DePriest

New User
Mike
Thanks for all the info! I have searched the internet for varnique, but could not find anything except from the BOOS Co. I kind of figured this was something they had made up for their on use. I am trying to figure out how to post here, and will put in some pics and info later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS