Using Templates

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
:eusa_thin:eusa_thin
How do most of you "attach" templates for cutting out with your routers? We need to cut quantities of identical pieces, and I have found no real good method so far.

All input is welcome.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
If piece has a "blind side" that won't be seen, then THREE screws through the template. I always use three, because if one failed there would still be two holding assembly. Double stick tape is a PITA for me. If I were making several multiples, I would add some vacuum tape and a fitting to template. Place on stock, turn on vacuum and route away. Joewoodworker.com has best price on vacuum tape that I know of.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I like double stick "duct" tape. It is a little bit of PITA to work with but holds like the dickens.
Dave:)

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
I have been using screws to this point. Has anyone ever tried a small amount of hot melt glue? I hate DS tape, :BangHead: it's a REAL PITA. Thanx for the input so far.

woodArtz

New User
Bob
I'm a big believer in DS tape. My wife and I have used it extensively over that past few years for template work. Sorry, no help for you Reggie...

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
I've been using DS tape as well -- usually the "turners tape" from WC. It's strong and easy to peel ... though can be a PITA when it sticks really good.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
If you are using screws, could you use several wire nails instead. extend them only a 1/4" past the template. Tap on, pry off. A small recess in the bottom of the template for the pry tool would speed it up.

Just a thought

Go

Dutchman

New User
Buddy
^
Gofor,
That's a common way to do it in most furniture factorys. Use a good 1/2 plywood form, drive in some nails slightly larger than finish nails, clip off the heads and file to a sharp point. They will hold your stock just fine in most situations. If you are getting crazy with the amount of wood you are removing, you might need additonal holding. Are you shaping all the way around? You can use a lever clamp (can't think of the brand name) to help clamp it to the form also.

M

McRabbet

Reggie,

Fellow NCWW member SteveD made a big order of Adirondak chairs several years ago and showed me the vacuum templates he used for pattern routing the cypress parts. It made the process very fast and left no scars on the wood. Each template simply had a weather seal tape around the perimeter and a 1/4" tubing connector to draw the air out between the template and the stock. All of the pieces were cut out on his router table against a starter pin using a pattern bit with the bearing running against the template side.

Sully

New User
jay
I use DS tape and/ or hot glue.

1) There are several brands of DS tape though. Some work much better than others. The kind they sell at Walmart (can't remember the name) is horrible; it leaves a sticky mess that is hard to remove. At Lowes on the other hand they sell a brand (I think it's the 3M brand specifically) that goes on and comes off easily. I'm planning a Lowes run in the morning and will report back with the name brand I normally use.

2) Hot melt glue works well for a lot of applications. I sometimes use it for attaching temporary sacrificial fences on the TS or router table. It normally leaves no residue on the pieces and pops off easily with a plastic putty scraper or glue spreader. I find the hot glue works best if you put down several evenly spaced dots around the workpiece, rather than trying to lay down a thin bead over the surface of the workpiece. For template routing hot glue works fine if you are not hogging off a bunch of material.

J

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I find that with DS tape, little pieces hold just as well as large patches and are a lot easier to pop off. The brand is important and lately I've been using the stuff from Woodcraft. Before DS tape, I used 1/2" brads on the 'back' sides.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I use a bit of hide glue and a sheet of paper.

The hide glue can be dissolved by hot water or denatured alcohol.

The paper ususally gives out when I twist the pattern off the piece.

Hide glue tacks up quickly.

Jim

gazzer

Gazzer
Corporate Member
Nails or screws if holes won't matter. Otherwise, I use carpet tape. This is a double-sided tape that is cloth rather than paper. It holds well (sometimes too well) and is relatively easy to remove. I just rub my thumb against it to pop up a corner and then roll it up and of.

-G

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Now THIS is what I call INPUT! :tinysmile_fatgrin_t
Thanx to ALL who have responded. It'll probably take me a month or more to try out all the suggestions. Thanx again folks!!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS