Trimming edge banding/not marring finish

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
I'm doing some edge banding on prefinished ply. I've always had trouble accomplishing this without skimming a little of the finish. I do a quick pass with aerosol poly and it's all ok.

I use one of those double sided cutters, followed by 150 on a block. No matter how careful I am, flushing up always leaves some small areas of finish on the ply that's been scuffed.

I'm wondering if anyone has any tricks. I thought about a block plane, but it's just too risky.

Whitfield

Wells T.
User
Before I went over to using thicker hardwood banding, I would "saw" the edge-banding flush with the edge of a flat file. Held at angle away from the face of the plywood, the technique left the plywood face pretty pristine.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Before I went over to using thicker hardwood banding, I would "saw" the edge-banding flush with the edge of a flat file. Held at angle away from the face of the plywood, the technique left the plywood face pretty pristine.
You know, I usually use a file. I’ll give that a try.
You mentioned a block plane, but have you ever used a "finger plane"? They're much smaller and more manageable. I've used them for exactly what you're describing.
I have a small LN block plane as well as a bullnose. I’m just scare it tear out this particular roll of banding has some squirrelly grain that why I went to sanding.

Howie

Howie
Senior User
Razor blade tapped into a small poplar rectangular block at 45 degrees .

1708730895303.png

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS