Travelogue: Vermillionville, Louisana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I just uploaded a few photos http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showgallery.php?cat=959
from our recent trip to visit our daughter down in SW Louisana. We did the tourist thing while she was in class a few days. The photos are from a living history museum outside of Lafayette http://www.vermilionville.org/about us.htm and feature buildings, furnishings, tools, etc from the 1760s through 1890s. The buildings were disassembled, moved and put back together on the site of the first Cajun settlement in the area on the banks of the Vermillion river. I was very interested in the boat building display, workshop and the furniture.
Enjoy!

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Looks like a good time was had by all! I'd love to take a tour through there...so you came back empty handed? I find that hard to believe, with all those goodies laying around!

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Ahyee! You're making me homesick. Those look like some fine pirogues there. I hope you ate some crawfish etouffee while you were there. Acadiana is a fun place to visit, but I'd avoid summer next time :-D .

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Yep Bob it was hot...but not August hot. It cooled off with a thunderstorm every afternoon. We hit the tail:lol: end of the crawfish harvest but managed to get in on a couple of bags. We love the food, music and the people in the area where our daughter lives (Eunice). It is very different from the Hollywood version of Cajun except that in some homes English still is a second language. I did connect with a friend of a friend who hauls old sinker Cypress out of the Atchafalaya Basin and brought some of it back. Next time I'm taking the truck.

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Sounds like 'bon temps' in Cajun country. I love it there, but had to have a break from the heat after 30 years ;-) . My mom was the postmaster in Mamou for a while. I hope you got to go by Fred's while you were there. Anyway, great photos. The kitchen hutch in your photos is what the older folks used to call a "garde mange" (sp) or pie/food safe. I'd love to make one one day.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Tante Sue has given me a shot from her holster on a few Saturday mornings:drunken_s and I do have the Tee shirt to prove it! My daughter and boyfriend's band played there last Saturday. Believe it or not Tante Sue's nephew Greg Brown (Basile/Iota) and his family will be spending this weekend with us. Small world huh?

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Sounds like you're doing it like a native. :eusa_danc Listen to some chank-a-chank and do a cajun two step for me... :-D .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS