To Poly or Not To Poly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
I've applied the fourth coat of Waterlox Original Sealer/Finish to the ERC jewelry armoire. It is almost finished (pun intended). The Waterlox can reads "will not chip, crack, rust, bust or collect dust".

I've searched the forums, getting more uncertain the more I read. Since it will not see the wear and tear common to the top of tables and such, should I apply a coat of poly?

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
Why would you want to apply a poly varnish to your already varnished item? Poly is a much lesser quality finish than Waterlox varnish. Poly is fine for floors where its slightly more scratch resistance is of some benefit, but it has few applications in furniture other than an every day kitchen table.

Waterlox varnish is a much clearer and just as durable unless the jewelry box is going to get regularly walked on.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Thanks, Howard. I wanted to go with just the 4 coats of Waterlox, but I got to thinkin' (which always complicates matters).

adowden

Amy
Corporate Member
Waterlox seems pretty resistant to water as well as poly. FWW reviewed wipe-on finishes a while back and Waterlox, Minwax wipe-on poly, Minwax fast - drying poly, and J. E. Moser's Natural Danish Oil all scored excellent on water resistance. Here is the link to the review:

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/FWNPDF/011178032.pdf

The review also listed viscosity, dry time, color, and sheen in addition to water resistance.

I look forward to seeing pictures of your finished project. :wsmile:

Amy

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Amy, I hope to have pics, and it mounted by Tuesday evening. All that is left is putting hinges on the door, mounting the mirror in the door, and hanging it on the wall.

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
Waterlox seems pretty resistant to water as well as poly. FWW reviewed wipe-on finishes a while back and Waterlox, Minwax wipe-on poly, Minwax fast - drying poly, and J. E. Moser's Natural Danish Oil all scored excellent on water resistance. Here is the link to the review:

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/FWNPDF/011178032.pdf

The review also listed viscosity, dry time, color, and sheen in addition to water resistance.

I look forward to seeing pictures of your finished project. :wsmile:

Amy

Amy, that article was widely criticized due to the methodology used for testing. The tester did not follow the directions on the label for the products. In some cased he completely mis-applied the product. Even Taunton agreed that there were some faults with the article.

Touchwood

New User
Don
I used Waterlox on the pine floor in my shop 15 years ago. I only used two coats.

It's a bit scuffed now in the traffic areas...but hardened glue drops still pop right off and leave no mark. This stuff is terrific for hard wearing surfaces.

I still prefer the Deft Clear Danish tung-oil/urethane product for furniture...I think Klingspor has started carrying it.:icon_thum

Don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS