Thoughts on the Rand 6" Jointer????

Status
Not open for further replies.

bpeterso

New User
Brian
I'm looking at the Rand 6" jointer on ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/Rand-6-Wood-Jointer-Planer-Joiner-NEW_W0QQitemZ150014835781QQihZ005QQcategoryZ20780QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem). I have a small shop, so I can't buy a floor standing model (plus I don't have that much extra cash now). Anyone here know anything about this jointer? How does it perform compared to the Delta 6" jointer? Should I spend a little more for the Delta? ....or does somebody have a Delta 6" jointer that they would like to sell so they can get a larger jointer???? :eusa_pray The woodguy disease has me, and I need more tools. It never stops. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :icon_thum

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
bpeterso said:
I'm looking at the Rand 6" jointer on ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/Rand-6-Wood-Jointer-Planer-Joiner-NEW_W0QQitemZ150014835781QQihZ005QQcategoryZ20780QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem). I have a small shop, so I can't buy a floor standing model (plus I don't have that much extra cash now). Anyone here know anything about this jointer? How does it perform compared to the Delta 6" jointer? Should I spend a little more for the Delta? ....or does somebody have a Delta 6" jointer that they would like to sell so they can get a larger jointer???? :eusa_pray The woodguy disease has me, and I need more tools. It never stops. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :icon_thum

Check out the buy & sell, Monty has a Jet 6" for $350. Hard to beat that deal.

Mike

bpeterso

New User
Brian
I saw this, but it costs a bit more than I want to spend...and I think I remember it being a floor model, which won't work for my small shed...that I have to take everything out of and work on the deck...for now.

T

toolferone

A couple of thoughts. The general rule of thumb is you can joint a board almost twice as long as the bed. 28" long bed means about a 56" board (probably pushing it a little there). Also having not heard of the brand I would worry about replacement parts, mostly blades. Just a few things to consider.

bpeterso

New User
Brian
Hmmmm...that leaves me at a dilemna, I had never heard the rule that you can joint a board almost twice as long as the bed (of course that is why I'm asking you guys). Now I'm afraid I may want to hold off on a jointer until I get a bigger shop (a.k.a. get a shop). Maybe I'll buy the planer first, and just beg for someone here to help me joint boards...or pay someone to joint boards for me.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
bpeterso said:
Hmmmm...that leaves me at a dilemna, I had never heard the rule that you can joint a board almost twice as long as the bed (of course that is why I'm asking you guys). Now I'm afraid I may want to hold off on a jointer until I get a bigger shop (a.k.a. get a shop). Maybe I'll buy the planer first, and just beg for someone here to help me joint boards...or pay someone to joint boards for me.

you can buy stock S2S, which would reduce the need for a jointer. Also, there have been some delta's, the shopmasters IIRC, very similar in appearance to this Rand, that have sold here for less.

T

toolferone

It is posible to do edge jointing on both the tablesaw and a router table. I agree with getting a planer first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS