Thinking cap time...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
I have cut LOTS and LOTS of 6" PVC S&D for my DC setup (maybe a pic here somewhere- if I find it I'll insert with an edit). Anyway, I used the tablesaw which I think is easier and safer and gives a great cut.

I add a long aux fence (3' piece of 2X4) to my miter gauge, raise the blade above the table only about a half to an inch, no more, just so it cuts through a little bit of the bottom of the pipe. I set the pipe on the saw against the miterfence, turn on the saw, feed it forward (you can also use an outfeed stop to you don't feed it too far or even a cradle-like crosscut sled) until the blade cuts through the bottom of the pipe. Once the center of the pipe is directly over the blade I stop feeding and rotate the pipe towards me until it is cut all the way around. A little messy with all the plastic dust, but works great. I haven't had PVC stick to the blade either.

You can use the rip fence as a length stop if the pipe has a square end or you can just make a blade alignment mark on the miterfence and one mark on the pipe- once you start cutting the cut will track pretty square. You will need to support the left and right ends of long sections of pipe.

Believe me this is easy, accurate, and safe- much safer than trying to mess with a mitersaw, and a much better cut than with a sawzall or crosscut handsaw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors