Talk about BarBQ!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
After all the post and no concrete answer, I decided to steam the pieces with worm holes. 210 degrees for 5 hours should penetrate 1/2" (half the largest diameter of the pieces) and kill anything that "might" be in there. Time will tell!!!

A couple pics will show the steamer-------if I got them attached.:)

Jerry

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
That's got to be the strangest Pig cooker I ever saw:lol: ! I bet it does a great job on the bugs though:eusa_clap !

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
I'm sure the temp is correct (for doing in the bugs). The only question is the timing. Please let us know how this bug-BBQ works out. It'll be good information.

Ray

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Good looking rig Jerry. That should do the trick!

Mike----------I sure hope it does the job. The wood was wet to begin with and water conveys heat better than dry air(or that is my theory).
the guy at the sawmill told me 160 degrees for 4 hours so I believe 200+ for 5 hours should do it.

I was hoping we had an engineer with some knowledge on heat transfer that would chime in to confirm my theory. Back to the school of hard knocks I guess.:)

Jerry

woodguy1975

New User
John
Mike----------I sure hope it does the job. The wood was wet to begin with and water conveys heat better than dry air(or that is my theory).
the guy at the sawmill told me 160 degrees for 4 hours so I believe 200+ for 5 hours should do it.

I was hoping we had an engineer with some knowledge on heat transfer that would chime in to confirm my theory. Back to the school of hard knocks I guess.:)

Jerry

Ahhhh heat/mass transfer. It was a favorite subject of mine so many years ago..... If only I had some transfer coefficients I could actually tell you if the Q would be the same. Water has a good heat transfer coefficient. Wood is actually a thermal insulator so your theory is sound Jerry. :)

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Ingenious! I have a "steam generation vessel" like that but use it for holding dirty motor oil until I can get to the recycling center! That looks like it might be the ticket for getting plys of wood ready for bending, too. Do you have a patent on that water fill valve on the top? If not, could you shoot a close-up?

I've heard bugs are a good source of protein, but never heard of steamin' 'em before!! Do you use "Old Bay" seasoning or the traditional crab boil?LOL

:eusa_clapGo

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
. Do you have a patent on that water fill valve on the top? If not, could you shoot a close-up?

:eusa_clapGo

I am not sure what you are referring to on the water valve. Top right of the tube is a thermometer sticking up. I put the water in the top of the can sitting on the propane burner.:)

Jerry

cpowell

New User
Chuck
That looks like a pretty cool looking rig you got there. Those bugs don't have a chance. :lol: :lol: :lol:

You know, we could add a thermocouple, control valve to throttle the gas flow, and a PID controller to maintain any temperature setpoint you want...heck, we could even build in a temperature ramp to match the natural system response...better yet, if we seal the ends and hard pipe the steam from a boiler we could simply use a pressure control loop to control at saturation temperature...of course, it'd be just like me to over-engineer a working system!!

Chuck

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
That looks like a pretty cool looking rig you got there. Those bugs don't have a chance. :lol: :lol: :lol:

You know, we could add a thermocouple, control valve to throttle the gas flow, and a PID controller to maintain any temperature setpoint you want...heck, we could even build in a temperature ramp to match the natural system response...better yet, if we seal the ends and hard pipe the steam from a boiler we could simply use a pressure control loop to control at saturation temperature...of course, it'd be just like me to over-engineer a working system!!

Chuck

:rolf: :rolf: :rolf: Chuck---------if it ain't broke don't fix it!!!!!

BTW, the ends are closed with 4" thick foam rubber plug with a plastic bag covering the inside to retain the steam. There are 2 holes in the bottom to let condensation drain out and to prevent building pressure. The temp, wide open, maxes out at about 210 degrees at the top 1/2 of the 6" diameter chamber and a few degrees less in the bottom------no insulation.

I built the steamer for steaming back bows to bend for the windsor chairs. Now I know it is a multi-task apparatus!!!!!!!

Thanks for looking-------------------Jerry

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I was talking about the top of the can sitting on the burner. Mine just has a screw-on lid. I couldn't tell if the cup you have sitting on it had a tube going into the can below the water level to allow you to add water without removing the cap or not.
I thought these things were supposed to have coils coming out ending in a mason jar...Oh wait..that's for somethin' else. Nevermind!!

:lol::lol:Go

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
I was talking about the top of the can sitting on the burner. Mine just has a screw-on lid. I couldn't tell if the cup you have sitting on it had a tube going into the can below the water level to allow you to add water without removing the cap or not.
I thought these things were supposed to have coils coming out ending in a mason jar...Oh wait..that's for somethin' else. Nevermind!!

:lol::lol:Go

OK---------I took the screw on lid off and turned a piece of wood to fit inside that opening on top the can then drilled a hole in that turning to accept the funnel spout. I lay the lid upside down in the funnel to block steam from coming straight out.:)

Jerry

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
After all the post and no concrete answer, I decided to steam the pieces with worm holes. 210 degrees for 5 hours should penetrate 1/2" (half the largest diameter of the pieces) and kill anything that "might" be in there. Time will tell!!!

A couple pics will show the steamer-------if I got them attached.:)

Jerry

A post from another site comes close to anserwing my questions:

From: tinkerer2 Oct-25 10:58 pm To: walnutjerry unread (51 of 51) A little side lite that probably has no real value here but I remember from a course in microbiology that steam heat at fifteen lbs pressure and two hundred fifty degrees will kill all life within fifteen minutes.

Jerry:)

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
A post from another site comes close to anserwing my questions:

From: tinkerer2 Oct-25 10:58 pm To: walnutjerry unread (51 of 51) A little side lite that probably has no real value here but I remember from a course in microbiology that steam heat at fifteen lbs pressure and two hundred fifty degrees will kill all life within fifteen minutes.

Jerry:)

OK, so what kind of pressure builds up in your chamber?

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors