Supersized DC separator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
As a follow-up to Bas's "absolutely baffling" post here is the super sized trashcan separator I've just completed. The collector is a 3hp, 4 bag Delta. So far it works pretty well. I'm sure it will require some tweaking as I go along.

Attachments

• Dustbucket1.jpg
    Dustbucket1.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 165
  • Dustbucket2.jpg
    Dustbucket2.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 166

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Impressive! Don't forget you have to empty the can once in a while too :)

How is the 'scrubbing' with a 3HP DC, i.e. how much of the sawdust stays in the can vs. being pulled through? And is that 6" pipe?

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
Bas,
It is 6" pipe and that's the reason for a bigger can. Both of your questions is answered with what direction the 90 degree elbow is turned. The scrubbing as you call it is the cyclonic action which is desired up to a degree. With the elbow turned to fire the chips into the side with some force there is little blow by. I have emptied it several times (planed 250 bdft of lumber since Fri. at lunch) and yes it is heavy but because I'm in a commerical building/shop I need to use grounded metal whenever possible. With no employees other than me I don't have to be OSHA perfect but I need to be as safe as I can. You guys that are in your own building and not in business, can use a plastic can or fiber drum. When taking the picture, I realized that I need to move that fire extingisher to a differ local.
BTW, I reallize that using a 90 degree take off just above the can is not ideal but with what I needed to do there using a wye probably wouldn't have worked well either.
Rob

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Hey Rob - I wonder how it would do if you replaced the elbow in the can with a "T" fitting, with the side of the T facing the outlet?

My thought is that inertia would keep the chips flowing straight down the T into the can, but the air flow would go out the side of it and up through the outlet.

Bas and I were kicking that idea around the other day... If you try it, pls let us know if / how well it worked.

Thx!

Scott

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Lots of stuff with DC is never ideal. We all know about not making tight turns, minimizing flex hose, using wyes and not tees etc. But in the end, you gotta go make it work. Looks like a pretty nice setup, and kudos for thinking about safety. A fire extinguisher should be mandatory in every workshop, commercial or not.

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
Scott,
I don't know if that will work cause ideally you want the cyclonic action to cause centrifical force to push the chips against the sides and spiral down. That configuration would definately change the flow pattern. I think that if you made a fin that spirals downward toward the bottom that attaches to the walls of the can it would help move the chips down without disturbing the flow. You could always fabricate an inline cyclone. If memory serves me right, that's what the guy on "Woodworking at Home" has on his. He also has an interesting damper on his that keeps from colapsing the light guage pipe just incase he accidently closes all the blast gates. Based on some of the pictures of your "little" machines I would think you would be looking for a cyclone to mount on the roof of the shop.:lol:
I've not had that big of problem with mine but then again I'm not looking for perfection. Seems like most of time, the can and one of the bags are full before I get around to emptying. Since I started using the inexpensive contractor clean-up bags on the DC's I don't care if the lower bags fill up. Tying up a bag is just as easy as emptying the can. I have the separator on there to protect the impeller from a chunk of wood or metal that might find their way into the system.
Rob

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Rob - great info and answer. Thanks for taking the time to provide a detailed response.

Your point about the cyclonic action is valid - however I'm wondering if the "T" concept would work even though it would not be a cyclonic action. Seems to me that the intertia of the material would encourage it to function the same.... (may be worth an experiment).

You're correct re the size of some of my machines... however what I haven't mentioned is that I've purchased a 25HP blower to exhaust the dust from the "production" equipment that I've acquired. I plan to blow it straight into a dump truck and skip the whole filter issue. I don't remember if the inlet on the blower is 12" or 16" - but it's big! (I'll have to be careful that the barn cat's don't get near any of the openings...

I'll still need a smaller system for my "woodworking" equipment though - would hate to power up a 25HP motor just to suck some dust off of the belt sander or table saw! Hence my interest in the cyclone pre-separator.

Thanks again for the feedback - keep it coming!

Scott

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
Scott,
I've got a friend that is in the process of setting up a 25hp 36" Baxter Whitney planer. I told him he should warn the neighbors that their lights were going to dim when he cranks it up. That planer has a 10" dust port. I can't wait to see what kinda dust system he has to have to take care of it. Your big sucker may be what he needs.
Rob

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Rob, he'll definitely need something in the same ballpark. My Oliver jointer - planer has a combined total of 38HP of motors (20hp planer, 15hp jointer, and 3hp feed), with two 6" dust ports coming off of it. Granted the 25hp dust collector is a bit overkill, but if I'm running the Oliver, Mattison SLR, and Baker moulder all simultaneously I'll need the flow.

Scott

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
Rob, he'll definitely need something in the same ballpark. My Oliver jointer - planer has a combined total of 38HP of motors (20hp planer, 15hp jointer, and 3hp feed), with two 6" dust ports coming off of it. Granted the 25hp dust collector is a bit overkill, but if I'm running the Oliver, Mattison SLR, and Baker moulder all simultaneously I'll need the flow.

Scott

Some people have way too biga tools! :lol:
Rob

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
I personally think that it's just a matter of time before Scott sets up his own co-generation plant:eusa_thin. Using wood chips for fuel and making electricity with a little steam on the side (do we see steam powered tools in your future Scott:lol: ?

Jimmy:)

Some people have way too biga tools! :lol:
Rob

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Jimmy, that sure sounds like a "hot" idea... :lol:

I do plan on making my own bio-diesel this year though....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS