Suggestions for making a table taller

Status
Not open for further replies.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
My son has a small kitchen table he wants to make into a small bar. It has spindle legs attached to an apron. I want to take the top off the apron and make the apron taller. The top is round and has two sides that drop down. He likes the top and will remove the drop down sections. Any suggestions on how to extend the apron section to make it about 8 inches taller.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Some pictures would help greatly. Without seeing it I would suggest adding on to the top of the legs with a doweled joint and edge glue more stock onto the top of the apron to make it taller.
Another idea would be to add to the bottom of the legs. Depending on the type of wood used a contrasting "foot" could look good.
Dave:)

jmauldin

New User
Jim
I really can't comment until I SEE what you are talking about, but to add 8" to the apron doesn't sound feasible. It wouldn't look right. Can you change the legs? Edge gluing an extension on the legs will work IF you put a large dowel in the center.
Post some pics.
Jim in Mayberry

DavidF

New User
David
On a similar note to Mike; you could get away with a taller apron if you put a drawer in it or even a fake drawer front.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
So many thoughts, It is a Walmart table and chair set with white spindle legs and an oak top that is round with two leaves that drop down to make it smaller. They have a very small kitchen and felt like a bar top the size of the table minus the leaves would be nice. I will expect to bring it to my shop tomorrow so I can post a picture at that time. I don't feel I can add to the legs and would like to add to the top base. The bottom has to be tall enough to slide the bar stools underneath. The top now is secured with screws that go in at an angle. Storage would be nice but he wouldn't have money to purchase plywood although I might have something in my shop. Just adding to the existing apron would be fine. Will post pic soon. Lorraine

DavidF

New User
David
lwhughes149 said:
So many thoughts, It is a Walmart table and chair set with white spindle legs and an oak top that is round with two leaves that drop down to make it smaller. They have a very small kitchen and felt like a bar top the size of the table minus the leaves would be nice. I will expect to bring it to my shop tomorrow so I can post a picture at that time. I don't feel I can add to the legs and would like to add to the top base. The bottom has to be tall enough to slide the bar stools underneath. The top now is secured with screws that go in at an angle. Storage would be nice but he wouldn't have money to purchase plywood although I might have something in my shop. Just adding to the existing apron would be fine. Will post pic soon. Lorraine

If adding real storage is out of the question then just overlay a nice fake drawer front. A flat piece of similar or contrasting wood with a little ogee mold or similar around the edge, I am sure it will look better than just having a very tall apron.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Explain to me just how I am attaching this fake board. I am looking at four legs and four upright boards that are inserted into the legs. I probably need to ride to town and pick it up this afternoon. Lorraine

DavidF

New User
David
lwhughes149 said:
Explain to me just how I am attaching this fake board. I am looking at four legs and four upright boards that are inserted into the legs. I probably need to ride to town and pick it up this afternoon. Lorraine

On the front of the taller apron you were going to create - Ah the joy of pictures.......

b4man

New User
Barbara
Would just replacing the legs be out of the question? Or maybe building a pedestal and making bracket feet?

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Replacing the legs might be an option. I just got it home and haven't had time to take the top off so tomorrow I will post pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS