Stopped groove plane experiment

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
I recently made a wooden grooving plane which works fine save for objects with exposed joinery such as box joints. The ends of the groove sometimes show like this:
IMG_4891.jpeg

It is easy enough to make a stopped groove on a router table, but I wondered if I could solve this issue with wooden grooving planes. I have demonstrated feasibility to myself but still have a ways to go. Here are some of my thoughts before I forget. On top is my first grooving plane and the pair below it can sort of make a stopped groove.
IMG_4892.jpeg

The skate on a plane of this ilk controls the thickness of the shaving and the sole controls the groove depth. The long skate on the first plane prohibits cutting a stopped groove. The Al skates on the plane pair are around 2” long and are nestled close to the iron kind of like a chisel plane’s geometry. My first try below failed because the skate was too short and too far away and the iron would dive into the stock. Note that I moved the mouth forward about an inch for hand comfort.

IMG_4869.jpeg

Note that with laminated construction like this, it is easy to fit the ramp and breast pieces. Adding the second side completes the plane. In my case, I found that this design failed and had to retrofit the Al skates into a completed plane which is tougher.

A recess to end the groove must be made. I first made a 3/16” mortise chisel from a 1/4” firmer chisel but that wanted to split out the end of the groove. Instead, I marked the hole location using the plane’s iron and drilled a blind hole to stop the groove.
IMG_4888.jpeg

Working back and forth with the two planes I was able to make a stopped groove for a drawer bottom.
IMG_4896.jpeg

I consider these having proved feasibility and now it’s time to rethink.

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
One fundamental that I forgot in that test piece was to start with a longer board and trim to length after milling. That would have avoided the split-out from the mortise chisel.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Isn’t it amazing how fast you can plow a groove? I think a lot of people don’t realize for a couple grooves you’re done before you can get a dado or router set up, and find your ear protection and dust mask!

I did want to ask though how you handle tear out? Is the iron slight tapered? I usually score lines using a cutting gauge. I’ve never found nickers to be if much use.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Threads like this on shop-made tools are always welcome fun. Great photos.
The information on what didn't work the way you wanted and the why is always helpful in guiding our experimenting.

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Isn’t it amazing how fast you can plow a groove? I think a lot of people don’t realize for a couple grooves you’re done before you can get a dado or router set up, and find your ear protection and dust mask!

I did want to ask though how you handle tear out? Is the iron slight tapered? I usually score lines using a cutting gauge. I’ve never found nickers to be if much use.
Indeed, a groove plane is always set up ready to go.

No thickness taper to the iron. I am careful whilst shaping and sharpening to keep the side arrises as sharp corners.

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
Mike, I assume that the end of the groove is going to be hidden by the drawer back/front. Why not just drill a bigger hole?

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors