Stationary Belt/Disc Sander

Status
Not open for further replies.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
I have thought about buying a stationary belt/disk sander one day when I grow up and get the money. But I have a number of questions about this tool. First let me say I have a 3x21 handheld PC belt sander, a PC ROS, a home made 10" disk sander that I made that works fairly good and I even have a Black and Decker Mouse sander that will make your hand numb after you use it for awhile.:lol:

Questions for those that have and use one in their shop:
1. What type of projects do you use them for?
2. What is a good size to purchase? Yeh, I know it depends?
3. What is the best brand?
4. Do you recommend a table top model or one on a base?
5. I recently read somewhere that having the top of the disk sander lower than the belt helps when sanding on the belt. Comments.
6. When you use them do you work up through the grits on a project or normally just stay with one grit?
7. Is the belt good to sand things like small boxes, especially the corners when joined with box joints?
8. Etc., etc.?

Thanks for your replies.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
That's a lot of questions. Here is a shot.

1. Projects- just about anything wood and metal. I use it all the time for little items to remove material. Largest thing I sand is drawer sides- sand dovetails or box joints flush. I don't use it for fine finish work.
2. Size- Typically 6X48 belt / 12" disc (that's what I have) though you can get this combon with smaller belts and discs. Also, some folks like other combos, e.g. Rigid spindle/belt or the Griz 0529 spindle/disc.
3. Best Brand- Not going there- I've got an old Delta 31-730 "Finishing Machine" with 1 1/2 Hp motor below in closed stand. It is belt driven though most "more reasonably priced" (???) units like the Delta 31-300 are direct drive. Mine is built like a tank and is great. I had to do a little work inside the cabinet to hook up the DC to disc. I bought it used and don't think I use it enough that I'd pay what they want for the current model, 31-735, though. I'd probably go with a smaller direct drive Delta, Jet, Griz and mount it on a shop-made stand/cabinet. These aren't cheap either; the Griz 1276 or 1183 being the cheapest at just under $500.
4. Table top/ on a base- I like the base- doesn't clutter my bench and easy to work plus I made a mobile base for it- remember the disc surface/table is usually 90 deg to belt surface/table so you need to access two sides of these machines?
5. top of the disk sander lower than the belt- ?????
6. Grits- I leave same one on, especially disc which on mine is PSA- too hard to remove. I suppose I could convert to H&L. Since I use it to remove material and not as a "finish" sander I see no need.
7. See #2 above.
8. Nothing more to add except read #1 again. :lol:

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I agree with Alan pretty much across the board.

1. Projects- I agree with Alan. It is good for small stuff and doing outside curve smoothing. I also use it to sand stuff flush, for instance adding aluminum to reinforce a shop jig instead of fussing with trying to cut the two perfect I make the aluminum a little long and sand it flush.

2. Size- I have a 6 x 48 with 12" disk. IMO, the smaller ones didn't have enough power hence I wanted this size. A lot of the time I would like to have a longer belt and I really don't use the disc that much as it turns out. I have also thought at times I should have gotten just an oscillating belt sander instead.

3. Best Brand- I really don't have an opinion. I have the Jet with the enclosed stand. It came with wheels but they are useless. The do not swivel so it only rolls forwards and backwards so I added a mobile base. Dust collection on mine is fair, but I have figured out how to improve it substantially. Personally, I wanted the enclosed base for a smaller foot print and not to have another open stand for dust to collect.

4. I think it is personal preference. I have a few bench top tools and end up wanting to make bases for them. IMO, it depends on (not in any particular order) budget, space, material handling requirements, size, and need (or wants depending upon the severity of your addiction :roll: ).

5. top of the disk sander lower than the belt- Not a clue. Doesn't make sense to me. Mine has the motor in the center and the disk on one side and the belt on the other. They don't interfere with each other in anyway. I can have the belt vertical or horizontal and use it both ways depending upon what I am doing.

6. Grits- Ditto for me from Alan. I don't finish sand with it, but use it to clean up mostly. I belive I have 100 or 120 grit on it at the moment and won't change it until it is worn out.

7. IMO, yes perfect.

8. If I get a floor tool, I nowadays personally prefer enclosed bases. Check out the dust collection. Mine has one 4 inch port and it does fair. I have looked at it long and hard and I can disconnect it's internal piping and have a 4 inch hookup to each side. I would definitively want one that the belt can be set horizontally and vertically without too much trouble. For a larger model I would want two tables and want them out of cast iron. Mobility is a plus. That is about all I can say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors