Starrett Combination Square--What's The Difference?

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
I've got a chance to buy a Starrett 3-in-1 combination square/center finder/protractor, model # 9-12-4R. This seems to be the lowest grade of Starrett in this tool. What's the difference in this "entry level" model and the really pricey models that retail for $400+?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Not sure about the model numbers but there are two big differences.
First is the square/center/protractor, they can be cast iron or forged steel. you can tell the difference by the finish. Cast iron is rough and the forged steel is smooth and glossy. Forged usually costs double.

the other difference is the ruler, they can be plain hardened steel which will rust easily or satin chrome which is easier to read and resists rust much better. Again about double the price.

Any of these are far superior to the average woodworking brands of tools.

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
Thanks Mike--The one I described obviously is the cast iron version. I'll wait until I win the lottery and get the "easier to read" version. FWIW I keep a large moisture absorber in my drawer of measuring and layout tools and have still gotten faint rust on my low-price squares.
Not sure about the model numbers but there are two big differences.
First is the square/center/protractor, they can be cast iron or forged steel. you can tell the difference by the finish. Cast iron is rough and the forged steel is smooth and glossy. Forged usually costs double.

the other difference is the ruler, they can be plain hardened steel which will rust easily or satin chrome which is easier to read and resists rust much better. Again about double the price.

Any of these are far superior to the average woodworking brands of tools.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Thanks Mike--The one I described obviously is the cast iron version. I'll wait until I win the lottery and get the "easier to read" version. FWIW I keep a large moisture absorber in my drawer of measuring and layout tools and have still gotten faint rust on my low-price squares.
I have several sets, I buy every one I see that is a great price. You’ll be surprised how many are in junk stores, pawn shops, on eBay, on Facebook marketplace, and other places. Next time you are over this way let me know and you can come see what I have. Maybe we can put together a decent set for you from all the parts I have.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
The one I have was around $100 when u bought. Lee valley I think.

Extremely accurate. You don’t need machinist level tools for ww’ing.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
@Wiley's Woodworks if you have access to FB have a look at this:
Starret 24” 3 Piece 24” Combination Square Set
1687728876475.png

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
@Wiley's Woodworks here is another one - I am even thinking about it for $65!
Starrett No.13 Combination Square 4”
1687819951993.png

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Mismatch. The square is forged steel. The center finder is much older. 40s-50s. That said I would buy it at $65.
So, contact the seller - tell them it is a mismatch and that I could possibly be convinced to take them off his hands for $30? LOL

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS