Stanley planes should come with warning labels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Threejs

New User
David
So I have had a block plane for years, and have used it some, but never really enjoyed it. Then on a whim, I bought a #5 off evil-bay, that also happened to have a great neck (stanley #4 equivalent) with it.

I get the #5, rub it down to prevent rust, as it only has come light staining to it, and sharpen the extremely blunt blade. I use the scary sharp method, so after 2 hours of work, I put it all back together, and man this thing works like a dream.

Suddenly a #4 stanley rust bucket plane shows up at the house. I have spent a couple evening cleaning it up, and will be buying a new hock blade for it pretty soon. The original blade is very rough and has some pitting.

So now I have a bid in on a #7.. I guess my question is "Will it ever stop?" These are some really nice tools, that with a little love work like a charm.

As a side note. I found wood shavings under the blade on the #4, so someone out there used it. Wish I knew what was made with it.

sapwood

New User
Roger
We can help you Threejs ;-)
The MWTCA meet is Saturday, Jan 12 in Hillsborough. It's an easy two hour drive from Charlotte and there will be loads of rusty hand tools, parts, refurbs, and collectibles for sale. IIRC non-members pay only $5 and that includes coffee & donuts, demos, and an auction.

Oh yeah, you have to go right by Woodworker Supply to get there :eusa_danc

HTH,
Roger

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
David,

This is a very bad place to request help for tool collection issues. You will find that we are experts in enabling your problem.:eusa_danc

Along those lines...I'm planning to attend the MWTCA meeting in Hillsborough and you're welcome to carpool with me and attend as my guest.

We need to introduce you to Randy Osborne. http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/member.php?u=494
If you have a specific plane and type in mind he probably has 3-4 of them in various levels of rehab and will be glad to bring them to the meeting and meet you in a dark corner of the parking lot;-).

Here to enable,
Mark

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
Yep, sounds like "the fever" to me. The only cure is a couple of thousand flea markets and auctions, and maybe 500-600 planes :roll::roll::roll: Seriously, David if you have any questions or plane advice I'll be glad to help if I can. The other guys are right about MWTCA, that would be something you would enjoy. There's always some nice old tools in Hillsborough. The meeting theme is "Edge Tools" and I'm planning on taking a display on restoring chisels, and may/may not set-up a for sale table. I hope you can make the meeting and I look forward to seeing everyone there. :icon_thum

[S]A PLANE A DAY KEEPS THE FEVER AWAY[/S]

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Heed my warning if you dare, Stanley is not the only plane maker out there.....

Miller Falls, Sargent, Union, etc.

Not to mention transitional planes that I view as a gateway plane. They can lead you from a metal body to a totally wooden body.

Oh the humanity!

To quote a line from Terminator:

Listen. And understand. That #7 is out there. It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead broke.

Jim

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
You might as well start lookin' for a #8 while you are perusing the #7s. Good 8s are harder to find, so start now!!
Oops, that's not helpin' is it?:mrgreen:
Welcome to the quest.

Go

PS: When you start actually buying Lie-Nielsons is when you need to seek professional help. I hear you can find it at Woodcraft!

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
After you have collected at least one of the different models of Stanleys, go over to Bill Anderson's and look at his wooden planes. This will start you on a new career. You can't help yourself,once plane collecting has gotten into your blood.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
We can help you Threejs ;-)
The MWTCA meet is Saturday, Jan 12 in Hillsborough. It's an easy two hour drive from Charlotte and there will be loads of rusty hand tools, parts, refurbs, and collectibles for sale. IIRC non-members pay only $5 and that includes coffee & donuts, demos, and an auction.

Oh yeah, you have to go right by Woodworker Supply to get there :eusa_danc

HTH,
Roger

What time does it start and where in Hillsborough? If I can make it, I would like to get there before the show is over.:BangHead:

sapwood

New User
Roger
What time does it start and where in Hillsborough? If I can make it, I would like to get there before the show is over.:BangHead:

:rolf: Unlike last year.
Though it was nice to chat with you and your daughter afterward.

Place: Big Barn Convention Center (aka Daniel Boone Antique Village) Hillsborough) - Follow I-85 to Exit 164, turn north and Daniel Boone Village is immediately on the right.

Schedule:
7:30 am (yawn) - Registration Opens, coffee an donuts
9:00 am - Breakout Session - Presentation and Discussion of Displays
10:00 am - Business Meeting
10:15-11:15 am - Program: SHARPENING EDGE TOOLS (fellow NCCWer Bill Anderson)
11:45 - 12:30pm - Auction
12:30 - Meeting Over

HTH,
Roger

Steve W

New User
Steve
Oooh, I think I've found something to do a week from Saturday!:rolf:

I don't have a #8 yet, either :lol:

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
David, for the love of God man, lay the planes down, turn around and run like the wind while there's still hope for you. I speak from experience. There is no return from the abyss you are about to fall into.

cpowell

New User
Chuck

Most of showed up around 8AM last year...Eastern time!!! :lol: :lol: (someone showed up after lunch I think). :)

I don't think I'm allowed to attend this year. :-( Man, I wish this show wasn't so close to Christmas.

Chuck

Threejs

New User
David
I would love to go with you, but I only have limited time to get my box, and other project done for the lumberjocks winter challenge. I have everything planned out as of tonight, and have started on my box project. After helping a friend move tomorrow, I will hopefully get that one cut, sanded, and a coat of finish on it before assembly. (oil finish, so its not so darn hard to get into the corners)

THen I only have 2 weekends to do the single 2x4 project. Busy busy month.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Most of showed up around 8AM last year...Eastern time!!! :lol: :lol: (someone showed up after lunch I think). :)

I don't think I'm allowed to attend this year. :-( Man, I wish this show wasn't so close to Christmas.

Chuck

Yes, I showed up after lunch.....:BangHead:Seems strange to have something like that so early to me....

Come on and go Chuck! I will bring my Lie Nielsen saw and a couple of chisels and we can hand cut some dovetails!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS