Stanley No. 4 tune up

Status
Not open for further replies.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Tune up on Stanley No. 4 complete :icon_thum
Focus was to make it usable, not good looking. Gotta give Stanley credit, I have a Shelton No. 4 (2 stars) and Vaughn Bushnell bedrock No. 904 (3 stars). The Stanley is superior to both (4 1/2 stars), though the 904 was in rough condition to begin with.

Stanley_No_4_tune2.jpg

And shavings :eusa_danc
Stanley_No_4_tune.jpg

Roger

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
For me, taking an old flea market plane and turning it into a workable tool like yours is a very satisfing endeavor. The swish that a well tuned plane makes on a good piece of wood is always a joy to me...........I guess I've finally lost it...........

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Party time! I love to see the results of someone shaving an old gal.

er, i mean saving.

Jim

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Roger,

I have a couple of old iron thingies that are in need of this kind of restore. What chemicals, abrasives, tools were involved? Were there any chocolate chip cookies involved?

Ray

TV

New User
Todd Vaughn
Nice job, Roger! I have an old #7 stanley jointer plane that you could work on next. :-D

tv

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
Roger - Nice looking clean plane, and some nice looking curlers. Did you get that plane in Hillsborough last year?

sapwood

New User
Roger
Roger,

I have a couple of old iron thingies that are in need of this kind of restore. What chemicals, abrasives, tools were involved? Were there any chocolate chip cookies involved?

Ray

Fred's blue magic tape and a lot of sandpaper ;-)
I really didn't do much cosmetically, but too many hours were spent flattening the sole :rbedface:

Nice job, Roger! I have an old #7 stanley jointer plane that you could work on next. :-D

tv

Haha! I have a No 90 shoulder plane that's almost done. Of course, I don't know how to use it :roll:

Also have a nice No. 6 waiting in the wings . . . my biceps aren't quite ready :lol: Winter is a great time for this stuff. No power tools needed so I can listen to tunes and generate heat for the shop :icon_thum

Roger

4yanks

New User
Willie
Good job Roger. I love the look of a well restored plane, even if you didn't do it for looks. I keep telling myself that I am going to redo some of mine some day.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Also have a nice No. 6 waiting in the wings . . . my biceps aren't quite ready :lol: Winter is a great time for this stuff. No power tools needed so I can listen to tunes and generate heat for the shop :icon_thum

Roger

Great work on the #4. Restoring a good tool to its original usability is a joy in itself. My #6 is the easiest plane I have to push. The weight is enough to carry it through a rough spot and it is not as heavy as the #7. Personally, I think it is a great plane despite what Blood & Gore says. Takes less energy than a #5 IMHO. If the sole isn't flat, it will give you a workout flattening it, tho!! (DAMHIKT). Just don't set the iron for too deep a cut and "Get Rhythm" and you won't be singin' the blues.

Go

sapwood

New User
Roger
. . . . Just don't set the iron for too deep a cut and "Get Rhythm" and you won't be singin' the blues.

Go

:rolf: Got it Mark!
I use the "13 Question Method" and listen to Ry Cooder a bit myself :eusa_danc

Roger

sapwood

New User
Roger
Looks good Roger! Do you have any before pictures? Did this one go through Electrolysis?

Before and after appearance is about the same. No electrolysis required :eusa_clap
90% of the work was flattening the sole, honing the blade and a small amount of cleaning.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors