Stanley 98/99

dalek1948

New User
Dale
I recently picked up both of these planes. The iron s are skewed 65 degrees and beveled at 22 1/2 degrees. They are in rough shape and need to be ground to the correct angles. While I can certainly hone them after but,I need to find a precision grinding shop to get them right.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Dale

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Dale,
Not sure if this is enough help but at least a place to start: The Veritas Side Rabbet Plane

My suggestion is to learn to do it yourself or request some help learning to sharpen here - there are a number of people who can help who will take you into their shop for a sharpening class or maybe come to you if they are close!

jlimey

Jeff
Corporate Member
I recently picked up both of these planes. The iron s are skewed 65 degrees and beveled at 22 1/2 degrees. They are in rough shape and need to be ground to the correct angles. While I can certainly hone them after but,I need to find a precision grinding shop to get them right.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Dale
Hi Dale. Where are you located? I am happy to put the blades back in usable condition for you - he says without seeing them! 😀
is rough shape pitting from rust? Those angles may not be far off.

Side rabbet planes are very helpful, even for a mostly machine shop in my opinion

dalek1948

New User
Dale
Dale,
Not sure if this is enough help but at least a place to start: The Veritas Side Rabbet Plane

My suggestion is to learn to do it yourself or request some help learning to sharpen here - there are a number of people who can help who will take you into their shop for a sharpening class or maybe come to you if they are close!
Thanks Hank,

I have over 100 Stanley planes. Believe me, I know how to sharpen. I have a set of Shapton stones to 12000. My concern was twofold, setting the skew angle to hone, solved with the article, and second. these irons are in such rough shape, I'd be working days on my stones. I need some one to grind them to the correct angles.

I did not know about the Veritas attachment. I have most of their jigs, so I just ordered this piece.

Thanks for your help!

Dale

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS