Stanley #80,,Stupid question

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
Hello friends,
I purchased a Stanley #80 a long time ago and have finally gotten around to refurbishing it. I have stripped all of the rust and old finish off and am ready to put it back together. I forgot to take pics and cant remember if the the whole thing is finished. I don't remember if the saddle that meets/holds the blade is painted or not? any ideas? does anyone have one and could tell me right quick?

God bless and thanks friends.

Monty

New User
Monty
If you're referring to the flat metal bar that holds the blade in place - no, it should not be painted.

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
If you're referring to the flat metal bar that holds the blade in place - no, it should not be painted.

Naaa I got that one,,I was just wondering about the part where the blade and plane actually meet and are secured to each other, I know the bar pulls the blade to the plane, I was referring to the part under the blade when it is secured. Sorry for the confusion.

Steve W

New User
Steve
According the Patrick Leach, the whole tool is japanned. This is the cabinet scraper, right?

sapwood

New User
Roger
I picked up a L. Bailey combination spokeshave at the MWTCA. The bar on it was japanned. And upon closer inspection I discovered a crack near one of the screws that secures it :crybaby2:The side with the straight blade should be usable, but I'm not sure the concave blade will hold. I saw a Stanley last week that was almost identical . . . except the crack was near the middle screw :lol: A little research revealed this to be a common problem that Stanley tried to fix by replacing it with a metal bar (not CI).

Don't forget that pix Michael :eusa_naug We liked to see it!

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS