squarish and ugly or second plane

Status
Not open for further replies.

erasmussen

New User
RAS
My second plane8-O
This time I bought 4 good plane blades to start with, still had to make a cap iron, got a nice curve in the end flattned and polished the contact area and polished the chip breaker area:)
last month when I went to wall lumber I got some purple heart for the sole, and cherry for the top.
made the mouth just a little small, then run it across the jointer taking off as little as possible until I could just get a pice of paper between the blade and the mouth:-D
a little bit ugly but it planes GOOD
Thanks for looking

the cap iron
DSC01534a.jpg

the plane
DSC01541a.jpg

DSC01540a.jpg

erasmussen

New User
RAS
Great job, Again!! Care to share how you made the cap iron?

Go

Sorry I didnt take any in work pictures:-?
but I will be making more and will get some pictures next time:-D
Heck your just down the road you could stop by some time and take a look for yourself:lol::lol::lol::lol:

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
yup, its square, its ugly. better give it to me, so you don't have to bear the shame of it anymore.

:rolf:

Nice Plane!

woodguy1975

New User
John
Nice Job! If it works well then it is truely a thing of beauty.

In the future I would suggest not even worrying about the cap iron. With a mouth of 0.003" you can't get the chip breaker close enough to really do it's job. It should be 0.003" away from the edge of the blade if you want to take a 0.003" cut. It will prevent a bit of chattering in thinner blades if it is not close enough to the edge, but with a sufficiently thick blade the cap iron won't help the cutting action.

John

erasmussen

New User
RAS
Nice Job! If it works well then it is truely a thing of beauty.

In the future I would suggest not even worrying about the cap iron. With a mouth of 0.003" you can't get the chip breaker close enough to really do it's job. It should be 0.003" away from the edge of the blade if you want to take a 0.003" cut. It will prevent a bit of chattering in thinner blades if it is not close enough to the edge, but with a sufficiently thick blade the cap iron won't help the cutting action.

John

I tried it without the cap iron, and it seams to work ok, in fact I like it better the shavings come out better:)
Today I was getting shavings thin enough to read a news paper through:eusa_danc

sawman

New User
Albert
Earl,
I like the way you made the plane. What angle is the plane iron set at? I will keep an eye out for your forth coming pics when you make your next one.

Albert :saw:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS