Spice Box with line & berry design

Status
Not open for further replies.

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
I was reading a really great Winterthur book called “Paint, Pattern and People” that has a picture (below) of a fantastic Line and Berry door.

I remembered that PhilS was working on a similar type of project but didn’t see the finished piece in my Search.

Does this ring a bell with anyone?

attachment.php

attachment.php

BTW, I redid this photo multiple times and the phone likes it in landscape versus portrait!

Attachments

• 9E00F099-4C10-4985-98E8-21B9BD1954FE.jpg
    9E00F099-4C10-4985-98E8-21B9BD1954FE.jpg
    648.2 KB · Views: 306
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    616.8 KB · Views: 332

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
You remember correctly. Four of the Pennsylvania spice boxes are on my list - That is the work on them when there is nothing else to do list.
I was thinking that it would be best to work on all four at the same time, but I shifted that plan and moved one up on the front burner. One of my wife's nurses, Pam, has her 50th birthday coming up in mid September so I am getting one done for her.

I promise I will take some photos. I am down to making a few more drawer boxes and the front door. I am using a plan from Steve Latta, but as always I keep making changes.

Here is what the door looks like in Steve's plan:
attachment.php

I like the curved top rail but not the inlay design

so I am going to modify this design to fit with the curved rail.
attachment.php

Hopefully the inlay will happen this weekend.

Attachments

• 268725.893227.jpg
    268725.893227.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 279
  • 011235076_01_spice-box_xl-main.jpg
    011235076_01_spice-box_xl-main.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 268

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Interesting memory recall and I remember Phil's original thread as well. I've seen the Steve Latta article at FWW too.

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Phil, According to the Winterthur book, there are 125 known original line and berry pieces. I think they may have been including some stuff from MESDA.

I can’t remember a single piece that didn’t impress me with their simple understated beauty.

Looking forward to the photos of your piece. Hopefully you’ll have enough time to thoroughly document the WIP and share your process.

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
If you ever get a chance to go to Winterthur Mansion and Museum take it, the collection is amazing. We were traveling north on US 95 and detoured to see it. The place was about 15 minutes north of Wimington DE, 95 runs right through the city, so not a huge detour, but well worth it.

Brantnative

Jeff
Corporate Member
Lee Valley has a set of hand tools for inlaying. I bought mine there when I built my Pennsylvania Spice box from the FWW pattern.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS