sliding table

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhett

New User
rhett
Well, I'm one install away from meeting my goal, PM66 w/ sliding table. My question is this. If an aftermarket sliding table replaces the left wing, does this mean that the fence rail will shift over 12'' to the right. If this is the case, a saw purchased with a 30" fence will really have approx 42" of cut to the right after said sliding attachment is installed, right? Next question, my only experience with sliding tables involves the altendorf I use at work, while I know these are of no comparison, I am looking at the jessem (no feet to get in the way) or the excalibur (more beef) any suggestions.

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
rhett,
The Jessum is supposed to be the cats meow of sliders these days. Normally you do replace the slider with the left wing and slide the rails to the right. I am looking at the Rockler slider, it is not in the same leauge as the Jessum but it fits my budget and I can leave the left wing on. Take pics once you get it set up.

Bernhard

Bernhard
User
Rhett,

Have you looked into the Hammer? The Hammer (a real sliding saw) is pretty close in cost to the PM with all that aftermarket stuff.
...just a thought.
Cheers,
Bernhard

rhett

New User
rhett
Looked into the hammer. Reviews are not very good, have found a couple of sliders on exfactory.com website. I am just worried about the footprint. The machinery are of the shop is only 12x14.... for now;-) .

Bernhard

Bernhard
User
Looked into the hammer. Reviews are not very good, have found a couple of sliders on exfactory.com website. I am just worried about the footprint. The machinery are of the shop is only 12x14.... for now;-) .

Rhett,
Did you look at old reviews, before Felder bought that line and redisigned them? ...just curious.

Bernhard

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
IMO, you are going to be tight with a large slider. The Hammer has improved a lot, but again 12x14 is tight for a machine area. Go ahead and get a full Felder, LOL.

Seriously, like Bernard said, with all the after market stuff, you might consider a true slider, maybe used as you can find them pretty reasonable.

T

toolferone

I am not sayint is not possible to shift the fence, but the most common thing is to cut the rails and fence off flush wi the left side of the cast iron top. I would think you would have to redrill and countersink a few holes in the rails to slide them down.

The Jessem slides great and does have a smaller footprint with no leg, but the only think I am not in love with is the fence. Unless I am mistaken there is no way to rezero the fence after using it on an angle. Also seting angles is subjective because there are no set notches. You must use line of sight or your own set up gauges.

Let us know how it goes.

rhett

New User
rhett
I think I may have seen a fully loaded Felder once, now let me wipe the droll off my mouth:lol: . I know that down the road I will wish I had bought a true slider, but the reality is, right now I need to be able to repeatedly cut square panels in a limited space. It's not the best scenerio, but working from home has its benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS