Shop Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Have anyone here ever used recessed lights in a WW'ing shop? I'm taking about the type that are mounted in the ceiling and are flush with the finished ceiling.

I have them in my home and I'm very satisfied with them, so I am considering using them in my "Dream Shop" one day instead of having the typical 4' fluorescent lights.

Your thoughts.....

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I could be wrong but I don't think that you would get the coverage with recessed lighting that you get with fluorescent tubes, I have recessed in my house and they state that the maximum wattage is 75 watts. I have two 8' fluorescent strips in the shop and the coverage is complete. Unless your ceiling is real high I think you would have dark spots. Just my .02.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I'd use them, but for task lighting, not ambient lighting. You can't beat the fluorescents for your basic needs, but add recessed lights at the work bench, table saw, drill press etc. The fancier ones allow you to point the reflector at the spot that needs to be lit, so you can rearrange your shop afterwards and still get good coverage (within limits...)

They're not cheap though, but if we're talking Dream Shop.... :)

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I think I would have some of both. Flourescents are cheap to operate, but the cans would give a better light and be good for tasks as Bas suggests.

TracyP

Tracy
I'd use them, but for task lighting, not ambient lighting. You can't beat the fluorescents for your basic needs, but add recessed lights at the work bench, table saw, drill press etc. The fancier ones allow you to point the reflector at the spot that needs to be lit, so you can rearrange your shop afterwards and still get good coverage (within limits...)

They're not cheap though, but if we're talking Dream Shop.... :)

That makes sense, Fluorescent for general lighting, and recessed for detail lighting at various places as needed.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
That makes sense
There's a first for everything!

I strongly encourage everyone to NOT take anything I post at face value. In fact, it should be considered BS until proven otherwise. Just because I'm having a bad attack of WGD doesn't mean I'm suddenly not spewing nonsense!

But, in this case, I probably was right. After all, I learned it from This Old House.
:rotflm:

TracyP

Tracy
"I learned it from This Old House."

Oh that makes it correct. Doesn't it?

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
I have Fluorescent lights in built in fixtures with diffusers. I also have 11.5' ceilings with ceiling tiles. I enjoy the lighting, but realistically theres not much else I could have in my situation. I think recessed cans might work OK in a shop with 10' ceilings so that the angle of the light spreads evenly. But you would need a lot of cans, and I think it would be expensive per lumen, initial cost and operating cost. One advantage would be extra heat from incadescents in the winter, but they'd also be hotter in the summer.

MTCW,
Jimmy:)

Kdub

New User
Kurt
you can't beat the good ol' sunlight unless it was like today and cloudy. that's also assuming the luxury of working in your shop during daylight hours. so i guess in a dream shop i'd try to have plenty of windows and maybe a skylight or two. as far as recessed lighting goes, i know it's a little more mid 90's but i think track lighting might give better service to the purpose.
just an opinion, everybody's got'em.

b4man

New User
Barbara
I would be concerned about dust and heat in the cans. I believe I would install surface mounted fixtures or track to get the warmth and color correction of incandescent lamps.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
But you would need a lot of cans, and I think it would be expensive per lumen, initial cost and operating cost. One advantage would be extra heat from incadescents in the winter, but they'd also be hotter in the summer.

MTCW,

I would use CFLs not incadescents if I decide to use the recessed lights.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
I agree with Tracy, I thing recessed cans are best used for specific 'spot' lighting, and that flourescents are the way to go.

M

McRabbet

Dolan,

I've used 2' x 4' 4-bulb T-8 lamped suspended ceiling troffers in my shop for 4 years and they provide great light. Compact Fluorescent can lights would be okay for a localized task light (over a DP, or a bandsaw), or at entry locations. I put cans in the ceiling for my shop entryway and they provide good light. Be sure they are rated for direct contact with insulation (usually required with incandescent types). I got my troffers at the BORG for under $45 each and they provide great light.

BobcatBob

New User
Bob
One problem with the recessed lighting when building a shop would be location. Since the wiring and cans have to be located ahead of time, you would be guessing where the tool is going to be located exactly. It may happen the you could be creating your own shadow on the tool you are trying to light up. However with careful planning, it could work. Just a thought.:nah:

Bob

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
I would use CFLs not incadescents if I decide to use the recessed lights.

Dolan,

One thing to think about if you are going to use the CFL's is that they only come in a cool white color. 4' tubes do have a variance if os choose. Just another option to think about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS