Shop built slicing gauge

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
I have wanted to make one of these for quite some time and currently I am working on a mahogany top which has maple crossbanding so I definitely had a need for such a tool. Got my latest edition of FWW and lo and behold, there was an article in it about such a gauge. I made this out of some BE maple that I found whilst scrounging around the shop (didn't even know I had it). It uses xacto blades which can be adjusted up or down depending on how deep you want to score the wood / veneer. It works great and kinda looks cool too. :icon_thum Wish the BE would have shown up better but I didn't want to put anything on it but ARmor Seal and Renaissance wax so this will have to do.

DSCF0002.JPG

DSCF0001.JPG

DSCF0005.JPG

DSCF0003.JPG

sawman

New User
Albert
That is a really nice tool, good use of wood you did not know you had. The brass details shine. Did you use an insert for the for the for the bar locking bolt?

:saw:

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Yes, it has a brass threaded insert for the tightening screw. Per the plans, it calls for a "dot" of laminate to act as a thrust pad so the screw doesn't dig into the slide bar. I used a plug cutter and made one out of a laminate scrap. Works great and just the right size. I am wanting to find a brass knurled knob to replace the screw. I think Rockler has them but I want to find something a little nicer than what they have to offer. Any ideas?

MIke

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
There is nothing like having nice tools...and to be able to create them yourself out of nice wood makes it all the better. I drool over many of the tools I see on Bridge City Tools and this one looks like it came straight out of their catalog. VERY NICE! (as always Mike!)

Chris

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Thanks for all the nice comments. I am having Rarebear make me some brass knurled knobs and will repost a pic of the gauge when it has its final accoutrement.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS