Sharpening Planer Blades

Status
Not open for further replies.

yellofins

Ron
Corporate Member
Hey Folks,
When you sharpen your planer blades what is the finest wheel you use on the grinder?
Do you try to get the blades where they can "shave your arm" or leave them a little less sharp?
They are being sharpened on a Makita wet wheel sharpener.

Thanks,
Ron

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Ron,
I also have the Makita 9820 sharpener and am very interested in responses to your post. BTW...I saw the 6000 grit stone at Highland Hardware when I bought the 120 grit version. The 120 stone needs a lot of water to keep it wet and makes a mess...but really did a great job (and quick too:) ) lapping a few handplane bottoms. I have not yet figured out how to get repeatable angles on chisels. Any hints?
Mark

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Planer blades or plane blades? For hand planes, I go to a 4000 grit waterstone after running on the Tormek. I have done 8000 waterstone, but it seems like overkill. My .02

yellofins

Ron
Corporate Member
I was talking Planer .
I have read that if the planer knife set is too sharp the wood surface will not be even.
Oversharpening could cause problems. I was trying to validate that statement someone made.
Ron

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
I think I have read that planer blades sharpened with a home/hobby user type device often turn out poorly?

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I have the planer joiner sharpening jig for my Tormek, and have only used it once with DavidF. The blades did not come out true as I screwed up and did not true up the stone:eusa_doh: . Once you RTFM (Read the Fine Manual), it has you hone them on the leather wheel lightly just to polish them up some. Conversely, you do not do this with scissors as the book says you want scissors to have some "bite". To your point, I wouldn't think you would want to go to to fine a grit, as it is going to lose the edge quickly anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS