Sent to the garage in 1999

Status
Not open for further replies.

BumoutBob

New User
Bob
When I moved South in '99 I gave a Rockwell 6" jointer to a son-in-law who didn't use it and stored it in his garage. This weekend I got it back. It cleaned up easy enough. The bearings were a little tight but loosened with some oil. Runs great now. The motor you guys will appreciate, it's a 1953 1/3 HP Westinghouse. Still runs. How about that switch. This was in my fathers shop back in the '50s.

Attachments

• Rusty Jointer.jpg
    Rusty Jointer.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 127
  • Electric power-1955.jpg
    Electric power-1955.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 126
  • Before OSHA.jpg
    Before OSHA.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 134
  • Motor label.jpg
    Motor label.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 125
  • It runs again.jpg
    It runs again.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 119
T

toolferone

Looks great! Not alot has changed in all those years. Nice to have a old friend back.

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
My dad had a shop when I was a kid (far away and long ago). He had bought all of it from a retired cabinet maker so the equipment had to be from the early fifties or before. I sure would like to have them now just for the fact that they got me interested in wood working. My dad had to sell all of the bigger machines when he moved. The only thing I have of that shop is an old Diamond Edge plane about a #3 size.

BumoutBob

New User
Bob
I have a question for the old power tool builders: the bearings were tight on the jointer and freed up when lubricated, are they going to fail quickly? I could hand turn the cutter head but I could feel a lot of drag.

DIYGUY

New User
Mark
I think it is awesome! You should post it over on OWWM as well. I don't think your bearings are anything to worry about. I am guessing based on the tool vintage that they are ball bearings and not babbits. I would take the bearings out, soak them in something such as kerosene (or any solvent other than gasoline) to clean them out. A trick we used to use on bicycle chains would likely work here as well and that was to soak them in warm (not hot!) ATF. The nice thing about ATF is that it clings well without being spun off. I am sure others here will have equally good (or better) tips for you.

Your motor is a jewel - don't neglect it either!!

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
Lefty Tom, BTW we moved from Jonesville. I graduated from what was then Jonesville H.S. in 65 and my folks moved east in 66.

BumoutBob

New User
Bob
Thanks for the replys. I think pulling the bearings and soaking them is a good idea. What I can see right now is what appears to be shields on the bearings, not rubber seals.

The motor has bearing boxes that have lube caps. The shaft turned easy so I just added oil. When running a hard maple board thru it on edge, there was no bog so I guess I have enough motor. Wiring and switch need upgrading. There is a 1/2 HP TEFC on my shelf so I may trade up---sometime. Should probably build a belt guard too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS