Semi-gloat and a question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
My gloat is semi only because i haven't taken pictures yet but I will get aroung to it. I'm the one who claimed the 1 1/2 year old unisaw off of the Raleigh CL last weekend. I ended up paying $800 for the saw, 52" Beismeyer and outflow table. The guy threw in a new Freud dado set and a Freud combo blade.

My question is regarding insulation and wall finish. I just moved (3 weeks ago) into a home with a 16x24 detached shop. Of course, everything got unloaded into the shop before I had a chance to think anything through. Now I am wondering how important insulation would actually be in this climate. My workshop hours would be limited to evening or early morning weekend days as LOML wants a life also and I also like to fish. It will cost approx $400 to insulate and another $6-800 to finish the walls and ceiling. In my last shop in a much colder climate (read that "back east"), I had an attached garage. The walls were insulated and finished but I had no heat/air. It usually got way too cold to work in winter but was ok through the rest of the year.

Should I bite the bullet, move everything out of the way and finish it .... or ... should I use the money for a planer and a jointer?

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Finish it.....makes shop time much more enjoyable. I insulated my walls and ceiling and covered them with OSB painted WHITE. It needs just a minimal amount of heat on the colds days to break the chill (doesn't get below 50-55 on the coldest mornings before I turn on a LP heater for a few minutes) and a 5K BTU window AC cools it on the humid summer days. Also I have very little humidity problems effecting my tools. Shop 22x28 with concrete floor. Just my .02.

WNC_Dave

New User
David
I am in the same situation except i moved a year and a half ago and put everything in the shop (25x50) and have been going through it slowly either moving it into house or getting rid of it. I am going to section it off for the woodshop and insulate those walls so that it is better to work in. last winter i had soda cans pop in the shop it got so cold. As for the walls, that will be a work in progress. I will probably only close in the walls that will get benches put in front of right now and cover the rest with plastic and slowly close those walls in as time and $$$ allow.

Dave

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I agree, finish it, but you don't have to move everything out. Do it a wall at a time or a section at the time. It does get cold here at times and it makes a big difference.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
I agree with Splinter. An added benefit to insulation is noise reduction beyond the walls of the shop.

Give us a photo of the saw, so we can tell you.

Wish I had a detached shop...

Ray

M

McRabbet

I think there are two primary reasons to insulate and finish the walls -- 1) It gets very hot in the summer months where you are and you'll be happy you did insulate! and 2) you will have more solid wall space to mount cabinets and they will help keep the shop cleaner and brighter. I'm using 7/16" OSB on my shop walls, too and once it is painted, it works fine.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Finish it - even if it isn't painted now or done all at one time. I moved 11 months ago & did like Dave. The place I moved from had an 850 sq. ft. detatched that had 5-1/2" insulation & drywall inside. up to 10'. I only had to run a/c a minimal amount & it kept things from rusting. It also made the shop alot nicer place to be even without a heater. If I ever get this new one (1800 ft.) cleaned out I'll be putting a lot of the great ideas the guys on this site have mentioned in there. And yes, THERE WILL BE PICTURES. Honestly, I believe the people running this site have stock in a digital camera company.:lol:

woodydiver

New User
curt
i agree with the others about finishing it. The mornings can get cold in winter, and remember this winter has not been normal. working on a cold metal top(saw) or other cold equipment isnt very fun.
Also you will be happy in the summer if it is finsihed and has a air conditioner. Gets mitty hot in the summer. I would also recomend covering the insulation with hard board or cheap plywood. drywall might get a little expensive.
Have fun and enjoy the new saw.

Last edited:

Dutchman

New User
Buddy
Definitely insulate! You never know when you'll put in a few "late" nights to get that all important project finished.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
I moved into my house two years ago, it came with a pole barn shop 32'x40'. Everything was dumped into it on the move, and I've been organizing since. I wish that I had the time and money to climate control it.

If you can afford it you should finish that shop off now, you won't regret it. As far as insulation is concerned, it does get cold enough, but even more so, it gets hot as hades in the summer. Last year we had alot of 100 degree days that were miserable to work in.

Once again, I vote to finish it off if you have the capabilities.

Good luck,
Jimmy:)

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Finish it right away. If you put it off, you'll start acquiring tools, making it more difficult to finish...in which case you'll acquire even more tools etc.

It is amazing how much more enjoyable woodworking is when you have a nice, organized workspace, with lights and power outlets where you need them. The cold isn't too bad around here, but the summers can be miserable. Insulation will definitely help with that. Also, include a few dollars in your budget for some window fans & ceiling fans. At least do the insulation and electrical. Covering up the walls (OSB, plywood or drywall) and painting can be done in stages, like others have suggested.

Needless to say, don't forget to take pictures. We like before, during and after shots :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS