Scroll saw stand (formerly office door)

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
I used the plans in our resources to build a scroll saw stand that I can adjust the height and tilt. This was designed by @Phil S, and drawn in SketchUp by @Dave Richards . This is much more comfortable to sit at versus the non-adjustable stand that came with the saw.

The mahogany was formerly an office door, which I broke down to build this stand. The finish is simply clear shellac that I wiped on.
View media item 126891
View media item 126892
View media item 126893
View media item 126894
I drilled a couple of holes in the top plate for dowels, to hold the saw in place, allowing for ease of breakdown and moving to different locations.

There are a couple of areas I will work on that needs addressing.
  1. The center of gravity with the scroll saw on the stand leaves if VERY front-heavy. Not much pressure to have it sitting in you lap. I have still have a little room left I can push the top plate back. (The plywood top is temporary while I scavenge more mahogany from the inset door panels.)
  2. The wide stance, while allowing a chair to roll up close, leaves a lot of side-side movement. I have fashioned a brace (not pictured) to run from the top of one front leg to the bottom of the opposing front leg. When secured, the wobble goes away.
  3. I may narrow the stance some.

bowman

Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
I couldn't see it standing beside of the stand, but if I swap the legs front to back, that will give it a better stance. Everything is screwed together, so nothing that cannot be easily modified.

Ricksmi

Rick
Corporate Member
Excellent use of a door and really great looking stand, I'm going to look for those plans myself. Great Job

bowman

Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Very cool.
Does it knock down for storage?
I tapped 1/4" holes in the front cross piece, these unscrew and allow it to fold up. There are hinges on the back legs.

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
Very cool. It looks like you have it setup in a room inside your house. Do you do anything special to manage the dust?

bowman

Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
This is in my basement, which is covered in vinyl flooring. The scrollsaw makes very little dust in comparison to other powered machinery. My plan is to sweep or use a shopvac to pick up the dust. I purchased this from another member, and he had it setup inside his house also.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors