Saws, routers and tables...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SRhody

New User
Stacey
Ok, looking for some comments here, beware jumping in with both feet.

Situation: Small workshop, good table saw w/fence and a Delta SH100 Router/Shaper (which does a good job for my level of projects).

My problem is the SH100 doesn't really have enough surface area , but I don't have enough room for an adequate sized router table.

So do I merge the SH100 into the table saw? I know it will work, a bit unconventional as most people use a handheld base.

Let the flood gates open.:chatterbox:

T

toolferone

Delta, used to make a large mdf piece that mounted around the sh100 to add more surface area. I beleive it has a ledge all the way aound it. You might be able to buy one or make one and just mount it when you are doing large items. Or you could mount it with the TS. One of the main problems wit that is you might be stuck in one set up and need the other and well it is a pain to change around. My .02 cents worth.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
If you are using a right tilt contractor's saw, consider mounting router in the left wing. This way, saw could be up against wall on right side, and still have router usable. Plus feed direction would be the same as for saw.

JohnW

New User
John
For small shops another idea would be to make a router table...top only. Two 3/4" sheets of MDF glued together and topped with laminate. Trim the sides with any hardwood and poly the underside to limit moisture intrusion. Cut a recess to hold whatever router plate you have. Takes up very little room when stored leaning against a wall. To use, put it on saw horses.

You can make it as large as you want but locate the router plate off center. Example: You build a router table 36" x 48" long. Locate the router plate so the bit center is 12" from the front edge. This means the bit is 24" from the back edge. The fence can be mounted on either side so you have more flexibility by placing the plate off center.

I got my start in woodworking this way. The only power tool I had was a router kit. Used it for everything including cutting the grass and mixing drinks.:drunken_s

John W

lottathought

New User
Michael
How far does your table saw fence stick out?
I have the Ridgid TS3650.
I also am limited in shop space.
I just built a router table that fits into the extension of the fence.
I have some pics posted...check them out.

SRhody

New User
Stacey
Thanks for the info, this is along the same lines as I've been thinking. Different machines and set ups but the same principal.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I've got 2 standalone RTs, but I use the TS ext the most. I think that if you can get it tucked in just right that you'd like it. Especially, handy when you need a lot of 'router table'!

TS_RT_001.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS