Saw Sharpening

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinCwalina

New User
Kevin
I recently purchased a saw on ebay and wanted to see if anyone knew of someone in the Asheville area who might be able to sharpen it up so I can start using it.

Thanks,
Kevin

KevinCwalina

New User
Kevin
Thanks for the link. From the looks of the website it looks like they only service blades for power tools. Do you know if they do work on old hand saws? I have a Disston D-22 on its way and want to get it tunned up for use.

Thanks,
Kevin

DavidF

New User
David
Thanks for the link. From the looks of the website it looks like they only service blades for power tools. Do you know if they do work on old hand saws? I have a Disston D-22 on its way and want to get it tunned up for use.

Thanks,
Kevin

Power tools only I think. You didn't mention what type of saw and this is the land of the Power tool!!

sapwood

New User
Roger
Kevin,

One of our members, hobbsed (Ed Hobbs) is extremely knowledgeable about hand tools. I'm sure he would have a suggestion if you sent a PM or email.

Good luck,
Roger

nelsone

New User
Ed
I have been refered to this place. Haven't sent anything yet.

index

Vintage saws also has a great tutorial on doing your own sharpening.

Welcome to Vintage Saws!

I have three that i need sharpened. I was planning on doing them myself, but I think I'd like to get them done and then maintain them. If you send the saw to Cookes, let me know what you think!

Ed

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
I have a Disston D-22 on its way and want to get it tunned up for use.

Kevin,
If you don't find anyone to sharpen it, I'll tune it up and sharpen it for you. The only catch is that it will be about 6 weeks before I'll be able to do it.
My Best
Randy O.

Grgramps

New User
Roy Hatch
Kevin, It's interesting that your post comes at the same time I am reading, "The Complete Guide to Sharpening" by Leonard Lee. This book came from the Henderson County Library and I suppose your local library has a copy. I think so much of what Lee has done in this book that I'm about ready to buy from Amazon. Amazon.com: The Complete Guide to Sharpening: Books: Leonard Lee

Your Disston is a collectable so you may not want to learn on that saw.
I have an old "no name" saw that's from the early 1900's and am ready to give it a try as I feel that I have nothing to lose. If I'm successful I'll move on to a collection of old saws (none of which cut worth a darn) that we use on occasion at Habitat.

The Vintage Saw site that Ed refers to also offers a wealth of information. It helps me to understand what's happening even if I choose not to sharpen it myself.

Good luck with your "new treasure".
Roy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS