Satin Simi-Gloss or Gloss Which sheen is best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryan S

Bryan
Or maybe I shoud say do you like and I know this will be subject to different taste.
On my first time using a wipe on poly was on a small maple shelf. I used a satin poly that I mixed 50/50 with mineral spirits. I was pleased with how easy it was to apply and the finish itself was a much better finish than anything I had done before, but after 4 applications the grain started looking muddy.

shelf_003e.jpg

I used 4 or 5 coats of wipe on poly and then a final rubdown with 0000 steel wool and wax I'm guessing the reason it looks a little muddy is because of the satin poly. Am I guessing correct?

The grain in the cherry lumber I got from Berhnard is just too purdy to let that happen again. After reading an artical by Bob Flexner on mixing different sheens to get the sheen you want I started experimenting today with a few different ratios of satin/gloss mixtures to see what I like. Do different sheens work better with different wood or should it be different sheens work better with the more open grains vs the tighter grain woods

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It is what YOU want to see. If it is too glossy you can knock it down with 0000 steel wool and put another coat on that is less glossy. JMTC

Jerry

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
I really like the shelf. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap As far as the finish goes, my opinion is pretty biased, but I like everything I make to look like it were dipped in glass. Maybe it's too much time at the bar, I don't know? :eek:ccasion1:wwink: To me, in my limited experience with this, the more gloss I put on something, the more it brings out the grain and the beauty of the wood (and protects it). I don't know, that is an interesting question and I'm sure that almost everyone on here knows more than I do about finishing, but that is what I do. :icon_thum

Trent

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
The shelf looks excellent as pictured.

From everything I have read, it is recommended to use gloss poly for all the base coats and only use the satin/semigloss/etc for the final one or two to keep the clarity of the coating. That said, i used satin poly for a five coat wipe-on finish and was pleased with the results. I did go over it with my ROS and polishing compund, tho.
I now use gloss, tho, and use the other just for the final. It does give a bit better coat (seems harder, especially if I want to "adjust " it with polishing/rubbing compound to brighten the gloss), but does require more prep between coats to give a non-gloss base for the next coat to bite into.
For wipe-on, I mix my own: Either 1 to 1 poly/spirits, or three equal parts poly/BLO/MS (BLO when I want a bit more amber tint)

No expert, just my observations

Go

M

McRabbet

Mark, you are right with using glossy for all but the final coat, because these products have use a suspension of very fine particulates to attain the satin or flat finish -- if all of the "base" coats are clear, then there is only the final satin coat to block any grain. My personal preference is to apply all glossy (whether poly or varnish) and then rub out the final coat to the desired non-glossy surface with very fine grit (ca. 1200+) or polishing compounds (pumice & rottenstone). Grain will still be very evident without the harsh reflective surface.

A notable exception is how I finished that Wine Cellar tasting table -- you can read a bottle label in the reflections off the Behlen Rockhard Varnish finish on the African Mahogany.

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
You are probably running into the major deficiency of oil based polyurethane varnish. Polyurethane varnish is not purely clear. It contains a slight gray or translucence to it. The more coats you apply, the more the clarity is impaired.

Another factor is that any non-gloss finish contains flatteners to reduce the gloss. These flatteners also add a grayness and reduce the clarity. This is the reason many finishers will use gloss finishes for all coats except the last or will use only gloss and then rub out the finish to a lesser gloss.

You will always end up with a better finish appearance if you use a non-poly varnish and then build your coats with clear finish.

b4man

New User
Barbara
Not to jump in front of Bryan here but you guys did a great job of explaining the process on clear finishes and I just wanted to thank you!

Bryan S

Bryan
Yes they did Barbara and confirmed my supisions. Just looked at my experiment the higher gloss mixes do look much better and lets the color in the cherry show through.

I havent heard what Howard said about the poly clouding the finish but I knew the flatteners would do it. I have been hearing that dont use poly on anything but floors just did not know why. and was going to try the non poly varnish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS