Reviving old hand tools?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
I'm looking to clean up/repair some old hand tools that belonged to my grandfather. There are a couple of planes (Bailey & Handyman) along with hand drills, wrenches, and other misc. tools.

How can I go about bringing these back to life? Most of the tools are covered in rust. I'd appreciate any insight.

Mike

Monty

New User
Monty
There's nothing like Scotch-Brite pads and elbow grease to get rid of the grime. Most of the old rusty stuff can be dealt with using nothing more than maybe some wd40 and scotch-brite. If it looks like it needs something more serious than that - post pics and you'll get more specific advice.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
I've got to agree with Monty, on hand tools I'd use scotchbrite and WD-40. If the rust is real heavy you could use Naval Jelly (phosphoric acid) and scotchbrite or use a battery charger and solution ( maybe another member could help, because I've never done it). It's definitely worth trying, if for no reason other than them being your grandfathers.

Good luck.

Jimmy

gator

George
Corporate Member
I don't have a link to any of his posts, but Bruce (JunqueCol) has posted on several occasions/forums on how to do electrolysis to get rust off. Maybe he will jump in here with a link (or new instructions).

George

DaveO

New User
DaveO
All you need is Ready Kilowatt to come by and make those rust-blues go away

electrolysis.jpg

Or you could try electrolytic rust removal, but without the hat :lol::lol:
http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/rust/electrolytic_derusting.htm
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/andyspatch/rust.htm
http://www3.telus.net/public/aschoepp/electrolyticrust.html
http://www.instructables.com/id/Electrolytic-Rust-Removal-aka-Magic/
HTH,
Dave:)

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Beware of wearing Roger's head gear when there is a chance of thunderstorms. Check out Nelson's post on electrolysis in the tips and tricks section. I find washing soda at Kroger in my area. Seems no one else carries it.

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
The latest craze in rust removal is citric acid. Lots of folks over at WN are using it with favorable results. You might also try "Evaporust" which may be available locally at one of the auto parts stores. Can't vouch for either but reviews for both seem to be positive.

YMMV

Mike

nelsone

New User
Ed
I found washing soda at Harris Teeter. Electrolysis works pretty well. Besides its fun! Kinda of like playing a mad scientist!:5zombie:

Jonz

New User
Chris Jones
Evaporust definitely works but keep an eye on them and don't forget about it like I did once. It is not a harsh chemical or anything like that but it'll remove more than you want if you leave it in too long.

jglord

New User
John
Instead of WD40 with the Scotch Brite pads, you can use penetrating oil - the stuff they sell at auto parts stores to free rusty bolts. For large surfaces where electrolysis is impractical, it really seems to loosen the rust.

Electrolysis is the best, if you can get the tool in the bath - it actually reverses the rust, so you're not removing metal as happens with an abrasive pad.

If you use electrolysis, be sure you completely dry the tool and wax it as soon as you remove it from the bath. If you don't, you'll be amazed at how fast the rust comes back.

Monty

New User
Monty
Electrolysis is cool but for routine cleaning it's probably not necessary because of the time and setup that's involved. Also, I wouldn't recommend electrolysis on a part that is japanned - I have lost the japanning on an old vintage plane that way. Others have reported that it's safe, but I wouldn't try it again.

childe

New User
Chris
I'd definitely agree on the elbo grease, and I'll add patience, part of it. I've been fixing up an old table saw, and it has been an adventure. The end result is well worth the work.

Chris

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
Thanks guys, lots of good advice as always. I'm going to give the elbow grease method a try first. Although the opportunity to wear such a fashion statement as Roger did is very appealling. :eusa_thin

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Chris,
How has that unisaw been coming along, and I was wondering which rust removal method you decided on ?

Good luck with the rest of it.

Jimmy:-D

I'd definitely agree on the elbo grease, and I'll add patience, part of it. I've been fixing up an old table saw, and it has been an adventure. The end result is well worth the work.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors