Respirators

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
Which respirator do y'all wear for everyday use? I am especially interested in one that will work with my goatee. Shaving is not an option. The world is not ready to see me clean shaven!!!!:wink_smil:wink_smil

gordonmt

New User
Mark Gordon
I train people to use these things at work and any facial hair may get in the way of an effective dust seal reguardless of the type used. (Except for SCBA units that cost hundreds of dollars)
That said, a good tight fit will help removed a vast amount of sawdust and particulates and is better than nothing. Make sure to get one the right size. One size does not fit all and some styles fit large faces better than others.

GeorgeM

New User
George
I use the 3M HEPA Airstream. It is costly but well worth the money if you have breathing problems or want to keep from having breathing problems.

I bought mine from AirwareAmerica.

George

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
Mark, this is for you. This may be one of those times when a little bit of knowledge is dangerous.

I thought to wear NIOSH/OSHA approved respirator you needed to undergo a plumonary funtion test. I was told the problem was not breathing in but out. Some people, even in great shape, can not overcome the back pressure created by the valve in the respirator. I know I was required to take the test before I was allowed to wear one. I can remember being placed in a tent like thing and they released some kind of gas and I was required to read some crazy little ditty. This was done to make sure it was a good fit.

I have always wonderd about this. Ever time I go in a BORG and see all the resirators the thought comes back to me.

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
>> I thought to wear NIOSH/OSHA approved respirator you needed to undergo a plumonary funtion test.

I believe that is an OSHA regulation therefor not applicable to home workshops. However, it's a good idea.

On the subject of beards, face masks lose a lot of their effectiveness with facial hair. In the tool and mold shop I used to run, workers had a choice: shave the beard, wear a forced fresh air full face respirator or find another job.

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
>> I thought to wear NIOSH/OSHA approved respirator you needed to undergo a plumonary funtion test.

I believe that is an OSHA regulation therefor not applicable to home workshops. However, it's a good idea.

On the subject of beards, face masks lose a lot of their effectiveness with facial hair. In the tool and mold shop I used to run, workers had a choice: shave the beard, wear a forced fresh air full face respirator or find another job.

This is not a "job"! This is a hobby. I am not the only guy with a goatee around here. Certainly, there are some respirators that work better than others for those of us with face hair!:icon_scra:icon_scra:icon_scra

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Believe it or not, I got mine at Lowes. It is a 3M with replaceable cartridges and works well in my opinion. On the plus side, Lowes carries the cartridges so that you can replace them when necessary. I have used it heavily for the past two days as I have been spraying wb lacquer. I do store it in a ziploc bag when not in use. Cost was around $30 IIRC.

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
This is not a "job"! This is a hobby. I am not the only guy with a goatee around here. Certainly, there are some respirators that work better than others for those of us with face hair!:icon_scra:icon_scra:icon_scra

Not really. At least not in a half face dual cartiridge respirator and this is what you see on the BORGS and the woodworking mags.

If will certainly help, a lot, but it will still be way less effective than without the face hair. By the way, I have, and have had for 30+ years, a full beard so I feel your pain.:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

jmauldin

New User
Jim
I don't know about the goatee, but if you grow a big enough mustache that might filter out enough dust particles to get by.
Seriously, I actually do not use a dust mask unless there is a tremendous amount of dust being generated. I do use a disposable respirator when spraying, however.
Jim in Mayberry

Glennbear

Glenn
Geoff:
I recently saw a respirator that utilized a scuba type mouthpiece with hoses to cartidges at the back of the neck and a nose clamp. It appeared to be for usage under a full face shield. Caught my eye because I am a scuba diver. Perhaps this will work for you ? :wsmile: I will hunt around and see if I can find a link.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I also was an certified OSHA respirator instructor/fit tester. The OSHA requirements are designed for the industrial setting, and quite often a company will greatly exceed the minimum OSHA requirement at the behest of their insurers. That said, some more info:

To check how well a filter repirator fits and is adjusted, put it on and wear it for at least five minutes. Then put your hand over the exhaust valve and exhale. If the repirator does not balloon up, you have leakage. Then cover the inlet filters (latex gloves work well for this) and inhale and hold your breath. The mask should stay deflated (sucked against your face) If it leaks you can usually feel where the air is coming in. In any event, make sure the exhaust valve works. Other wise you will just trap fumes and the CO2 you exhale in the mask, (which can cause your body to ignore your brain!!)

When using it, if you end up with paint residue alongside your nose by your nostrils, the respirator is too small or adjusted wrong. If the residue is on the bridge of your nose, it is too large or the straps too loose. Some people with a high bridge or narrow nose will need to try different styles to get a good fit.

Good ventilation can negate the need for one. If you have your own spray area, realize the best airflow is across your body, not from behind. If across, it is taking the fumes/dust away from you. If from behind, the eddies caused by your body being in the air flow will bring the contaminants up to your face.

All that said, any respirator is better than none. Look for ones that have a NIOSH label. They should come with a pamphlet that tells you what they are rated to protect you against. For woodworking coatings, you want one rated for OV (organic vapors). If you are into metallized dying (potassium permanganate, sodium hydroxide, etc), you will want one that is also rated for NaOH, acids, and metal fumes. In that case the ventilated face shields would be better protection anyway as they also provide eye protection. For sanding dust, you want the P95 or P100 (Hepa) particulate filter.

Also: the blood vessels in your eyes will absorb 10 times the fumes that skin exposure will. Full face protection is better than half face if the fumes/dust are heavy.

If you have a breathing or cardiac disorder, you may want to wear the respirator doing something moderately physical like walking up and down a set of stairs first to see if it causes breathing problems. If so, see a doctor before you attempt to wear one for any period of time. The long term hazard of the fumes/dust will be moot if you have a heart attack from wearing restrictive breathing protection.

For those with facial hair, vaseline, KY Jelly, mustache wax. etc, can improve the seal for the short term for a particularly nasty job.

Go

M

McRabbet

I use a Medium size respirator mask with interchangeable cartridges for particulates or organic vapors that I purchased at Grizzly. Here is their current respirator offerings (I have the H3631). They also carry Peltor masks (the T50xxx masks) and a new powered mask that I have not tried. I have a full mustache but no beard, yet I have a good seal with mine.

100_2934.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS