Refinishing Kitchen Cabinets

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
So enjoying woodworking must mean you know all there is to know about finishes too...

My brother and his wife recently got a new house. His wife doesn't like the "light" kitchen cabinets. My bro doesn't want to paint them, but stain/dye them darker.

So...What's the best way to get the old finish off and get the cabinets colored the way they want them?

TIA!!!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
If they are real wood your best bet would be a chemical finish stripper. But you might want to check to make sure that they aren't Thermofoil covered panels. Thermofoil is a vinyl laminate with a wood grain printing. It is adhered to a routed MDF substrate to make the raised panels. Many commercial cabinets doors are made this way. The door frame is solid wood, the carcass is veneered ply or even Melamine with ply added on the end caps with a solid wood face frame.

Dave:)

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
I'll get him to check. I am trying my best to let him tackle this one. I don't want to have, "Hey my cabinets didn't turn out right, when are you gonna be able to help me fix'em?".

What's the best brand of stripper?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS