RC's answer the FK's 3 min DT

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidF

New User
David
That's an interesting comment about the fret saw v coping saw. I have used a coping saw to do the same thing but always steer well shy of the base line beacause it almost never cuts a straight line and the front to back control is bad too. Maybe look into a fret saw next time.

Sealeveler

Tony
Corporate Member
That was your first try doing dovetail.:eusa_clapThat was amazing.I couldn't even tighten the vise in that amount of time.Tony

cpowell

New User
Chuck
That's an interesting comment about the fret saw v coping saw. I have used a coping saw to do the same thing but always steer well shy of the base line beacause it almost never cuts a straight line and the front to back control is bad too. Maybe look into a fret saw next time.

I've had the same experience with my cheap coping saw - it would be nice to be able to cut close enough to the baseline to pare a few swipes and be done. I can't make the tight turns on narrow pin cuts where the base is 3/16" or so wide.

I've been experimenting with a few different blades in the BORG assortment pack but the design just isn't right. The blades are just too wide for the amount of set I guess.

I may check with Joel at TFWW and see if these blades will fit my saw. http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/...hop&Product_Code=MS-COPE.XX&Category_Code=TMQ

Chuck

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Please either share here or send me a PM with what you find out. Watching that video makes me want to consider doing the hand cuts again. Takes me about 10 times that long just to set up a jig!:gar-Bi

I visited Mshel at his shop this evening and he showed me the "jeweler's saw" he was using, shown at this link. http://www.olsonsaw.net/-sf63523.html

I cut a DT joint using his Adria DT saw (very, very nice saw BTW) and cleaned the waste using the jeweler's/fret saw. Well worth the money to get one for me. The saw takes scroll saw blades, applies a lot of tension, has a stronger frame than my coping saw. I was able to cut very close to the line. The cut was sure and fast.

Somehow he had ordered 2 instead of one, so I bought the NIB extra saw from him.

Chuck

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I bought a jewelers saw in one of my buying splurges a while back for the reasons noted, but I haven't tried it. After seeing this and reading the comments, I think it is time.

Still, a 4 minute dovetail in pine is nothing less than impressive.

I like the trick of using the handplane on its side as a support for the board while marking. I too want one of those lights. Time to go linens and things or Bed Bath and Beyond. The wife will be in total shock.

R

rickc

Time to go linens and things or Bed Bath and Beyond. The wife will be in total shock.

Plus I think Linens & Things is going out of business (one of those types of stores is!), so you could probably pick one up quite reasonably. Even with a sweat boysenberry scent! :gar-Bi

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Plus I think Linens & Things is going out of business (one of those types of stores is!), so you could probably pick one up quite reasonably. Even with a sweat boysenberry scent! :gar-Bi

You know that would be quite special. Some boysenberry to freshen up the shop. I think I will.

I think I really will. Since I have quit smoking I have a bit better sense of smell and the smell of the many many cartons of cigs I smoked in the shop is still there.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
I bought a jewelers saw in one of my buying splurges a while back for the reasons noted, but I haven't tried it. After seeing this and reading the comments, I think it is time.

Still, a 4 minute dovetail in pine is nothing less than impressive.

I like the trick of using the handplane on its side as a support for the board while marking. I too want one of those lights. Time to go linens and things or Bed Bath and Beyond. The wife will be in total shock.

The Bed Bath and Beyond things is kinda creepy...:gar-La;

I looked at Lowes, HD, Sears, Penneys, etc. I finally visited Office Depot and they had a desk lamp with swivel base and pivot, not as long as the video version but it works great...seems like it was 13 dollars or so.

I mounted it on a piece of 3/4 ply and clamp it atop the workbench. I can positon it on either side to allow me to start right on the line. For the base coping cuts it allows me to clearly see the mark line and cut very close.

Chuck

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
The Bed Bath and Beyond things is kinda creepy...:gar-La;

I looked at Lowes, HD, Sears, Penneys, etc. I finally visited Office Depot and they had a desk lamp with swivel base and pivot, not as long as the video version but it works great...seems like it was 13 dollars or so.

I mounted it on a piece of 3/4 ply and clamp it atop the workbench. I can positon it on either side to allow me to start right on the line. For the base coping cuts it allows me to clearly see the mark line and cut very close.

Chuck

Another trick that I read about is to mount it to a base with a 3/4" dowel under it so that you can move it along on your work bench where ever you need it. If your bench has 1" or square holes make it to fit them instead.

maomoonshiner

New User
morgan
Pretty amazing...

Anyhow, re: plane blade up or down, I thought I'd chime in. I have two raised surfaces on my bench located toward the back corners. These are spots I use specifically as a 'breather spot': I take all the tools I'll need out of their proper storage area for the task in front of me. The tools that aren't in my hands stay on one of the raised areas. This way I never misplace anything, AND they're far away enough not to be damaged should I let a moment of carelessness slip in (who's perfect?). I cut a special V shaped divot in both of the raised areas so that I could place planes blade-down on the bench, with absolutely NO effect, adverse or otherwise. Works for me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS