Question about scrap

cepat357

New User
cepat357
Hey, Im new to woodworking and I was wondering if anyone knows a good place to get scrap, I live in the triad area.

woodlaker2

Ray
Corporate Member
Hey, Im new to woodworking and I was wondering if anyone knows a good place to get scrap, I live in the triad area.
For rough stuff, I've had fair luck checking in with a local pallet manufacturer. Hit or miss and you have to be there when they put their scrap stuff roadside in a couple of bins but if you have a local pallet company you might check it out.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
'Scrap wood' can be anything, depending on the shop's criteria for unusable stock.
Scrap wood takes up both time and space. If someone offers scrap wood, its a very good strategy to take a lot and leave a clean area where the scrap was.

I've had people pick through my scraps before and ended up with as big of a mess as I started out with. I learned my lesson. I put my scraps in a temporary bin and a wood burning friend picks them all up when the bin gets full. He likes my scraps because he likes the aroma of burning walnut.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I don’t usually have scrap, just small pieces that I haven’t used yet. LOL

IMG_1490.jpegIMG_1492.jpeg

SabertoothBunny

SabertoothBunny
Corporate Member
Klingspore's up in the tri-city area also sells cut offs and smaller sections of wood. The other options would be to watch Facebook marketplace, Craiglist and this forum for people selling off wood.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
@cepat357 it might be good for you to ask for some specifics. What are you looking for 4/4 lumber, 8/8 thin pieces, lengths turning stock etc.

Then if someone spots something or has some to give they can let you know.

mquan01

Mike
Corporate Member
Just posted

Echd

C
User
I often buy pallets of offcuts. Good if you do one-offs and cnc work.

This last load was $150 from Wall Lumber. Sure, there are a lot of waste pieces. There are also a lot of very useful pieces.

They do tend to take up a whole lot of floor space though, especially if you're a hoarder like me who can't bear to burn even the most pitiful scrap of MDF.

Sometimes I go out in the shop and just sort wood. I need a hobby.

Attachments

• 20230719_114257.jpg
    20230719_114257.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 45
  • 20230719_114305.jpg
    20230719_114305.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 39

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors